Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yalgaar
    • Oct 2005

Convert .WMV file into DVD

I have a 450MB .wmv file which I got using Windows Movie maker bu capturing USB stream from my Sony Handy Cam.

How do I convert this into a DVD?

I spent quite some time to convert it into .wmv already from the Sony HandyCam. Any recommendations for future to get this directly on a DVD?

Thanks
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

i've done the same with my video camera. the wmv file made by windows movie maker can easily be converted to dvd with a program called tmpgenc.

remember though, wmv files are crap so don't expect any dvd quality or even close to it
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• tigerman8u
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2003

in the future you should capture the video to your pc using a lossless video codec or my preffered method is to use no compression. no compression will result in large files but give you the best source quality to encode. remember garbage in garbage out.

Comment

• Yalgaar
        • Oct 2005

Originally Posted by tigerman8u
        in the future you should capture the video to your pc using a lossless video codec or my preffered method is to use no compression. no compression will result in large files but give you the best source quality to encode. remember garbage in garbage out.

Please explain. Which software to use to do so? what kind of a file will I get? How do I convery that into a DVD?

Thanks

Comment

• Yalgaar
          • Oct 2005

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
          i've done the same with my video camera. the wmv file made by windows movie maker can easily be converted to dvd with a program called tmpgenc.

remember though, wmv files are crap so don't expect any dvd quality or even close to it
          I download the program. I did not find any option on the program to convery my .wmv file into DVD. I found options where it will convert to .mpeg and also found something where it would convert to 2 files i.e. one wav file and one .m2v files.

What should I do with these files? I need to burn the original .wmv files to a DVD?

Can you please tell the process of refer me to some info page on how to do this?

Thank you very much.

Comment

• benbryant
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Aug 2005

As LT. Columbo already pointed out the right tool to you. The TMPGEnc will help you convert your .wmv file to mpeg-2 for DVD. For TMPGEnc to recognize .wmv file, you have to change its file extension to .avi. After TMPGEnc creates the mpeg-2 file, you need TMPGenc DVD Author to make your DVD files (IFOs, BUPs, and VOBs)

As tigerman8u suggested, capturing video from camcorder to PC via USB by Windows Movie Maker is not a good idea. If you handy camcorder and you PC come readily with firewire (I.Link) connections, I would suggest to use WinDV to capture your video. Otherwise, you have to use analog capture card instead

Regards

Comment

• LT. Columbo
              Demigod of Digital Video
              • Nov 2004

going to try and see how tmpgenc likes wmv extension changed to avi, i have always left it in wmv form, tmpgenc still eats it up
              "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
              Columbo moments...
              "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• benbryant
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Aug 2005

If TMPGEnc can recognize .wmv file directly, that means that PC has a wmv codec which allows TMPGEnc accepting .wmv file for encoding

Regards

Comment

• Yalgaar
                  • Oct 2005

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
                  going to try and see how tmpgenc likes wmv extension changed to avi, i have always left it in wmv form, tmpgenc still eats it up
                  Yes, I also found out that you do not need to rename it. I am not sure I am happy with this solution though. Its taking such a long time to encode it. I am running it since several hours for a 1 hour video .wmv file.

I can't wait to finally convery it into DVD and see how it turns out.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

same goes for divx, quick time etc

@yalgaar, patience, rome wasn't built in a day. don't be expecting anything nice from a wmv project.
                    Columbo moments...

Comment

• admin
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2001

Moved to the appropriate forum
                      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...