Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johan65
    • Nov 2005

Subtitles in Windows mediaplayer

On my PC, I can look DIVX movies with the subtitles, if I give the subtitle file the same name as the movie. In the Mediaplayer I can select to show, or not to show the subs, but in both cases they are shown while playing the movie.

But on other PC's (my labtop, PC of my collegue, PC of my father, ..) I cannot get the subtitles on with the Windows Mediaplayer. I can get them on screen by playing the movie with another player, eg BS player.

Does anyone know how I can turn the subs on with the Windows mediaplayer ? The version of the mediaplayer seems to have no effect on this, I checked this with 8, 9 and 10. Window 98 or Windows XP seem also not to influence this.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

download & install 'vobsub' on PC's that cannot display subtitles in windows media player http://www.divx-digest.com/software/vobsub.html
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Johan65
      • Nov 2005

Subs

On my desktop PC, I can see the subs good without having installed this Vobsub.
      On my laptop, I have installed this Vobsub and indeed the subs appear, but not as expected. They appear on two places in the same time :
      1. on the left bottom, just beneath the movie but in a very small font
      2. at the bottom of the movie in a good large font, but if the subtitle consist of two lines, the second line is not shown.
      Is it possible to improve the display of the subs with Vobsub ?
      Or are there other "tricks, settings, software,..." to make it work?

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by Johan65
        On my desktop PC, I can see the subs good without having installed this Vobsub.
        the fact that you can view subtitles from external files means you DO have vobsub, or a similar program, installed

are you intent on using regular windows media player? it has little in the way of advanced options, its not exactly the best choice. try 'media player classic'.

this should give you an idea on what other people use: http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=55025

Comment

• Johan65
          • Nov 2005

On my labtop I use BS player. This works OK. I will try this mediaplayer classic when I do a new installation, because I don't like to change a lot on a PC that' s working properly.
          Thanks for the info.

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

actually, media player classic does not need an installation of any sort, the program is contained entirely within a single exe file

so chances of it doing any harm to your system are pretty much non-existant...

Comment

• Johan65
              • Nov 2005

Thanks, that's nice.

Comment

• meggamjfan
                • Nov 2008

Subtitles played on WMP or other media viewing software

i just took a video on my digital camera but some of the words are too soft so i want to put subtitles on.

How do i attach subtitles to it and still play it on Windows Media Player or Media Player Classic etc.? Is there a certain program that i should use?

Comment

• ryan77775
                  • Dec 2008

sub prob

[quote=anonymez;314005]
                  hi theres a 5 sec diiference with a sub & the video i watch . the sub appears 5 sec after the dialogue is told coul u pl tel me how to correct that

Comment

• paglamon
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Aug 2005

hi theres a 5 sec diiference with a sub & the video i watch . the sub appears 5 sec after the dialogue is told coul u pl tel me how to correct that
                    Use Subtitle Workshop.
                    sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

Working...