Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skyler44
    • Oct 2004

Installing Nero crashed WMplayer & Realaudio

Bought a DVD-RW drive and installed it along with associated software on Friday. The write program was Nero. After that, I had a problem with no audio in Windows Media Player and Real Player when playing a DVD. Tried everything. Even uninstalled nero. Finally, in desparation, I did a go back, and it worked fine. Noticed then that there was a new version of Windows media player (10) so downloaded and installed that.

I reinstalled the nero program, and again lost the audio on the Real Player and Media player. So, I did a go back again, and ended up with no Windows media player.

I figured this was no problem, I'll just download V 10 again and reinstall it. When I did, it started to extract the files, stopped and I got a message "this version of Windows Media Technologies is incompatable with this version of windows." The supposed fix is to download again. Tried that. Also went to VIA site and listed my problem there. Re-installed the installer to no avail.

When I go to program files, it seems to be there. One message I get is wmvcore.dll was not found and re-installing the application may fix the problem. Another box that will pop us says I'm "running the most recent version of V-10 and all its components. No update is available at this time."
    Anyone have an idea as to why this is happening?
    Please help.
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

What's your OS?

Comment

• Skyler44
      • Oct 2004

winxp sp2

Comment

• Chewy
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2003

1. realplayer is crud(always has been, always will)
        conflict that won't wait to happen

2. avoid typical installs(versus custom), it's your computer, take charge

3. windows media player is the worst part of XP

4. try add/remove programs add/remove windows components

Comment

• Skyler44
          • Oct 2004

Best Software

If Realplayer is crud and wmplayer is any better which software do you recommend for playing and recording mp3?

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

I rip, play and organize mp3s with musicmatch(older full version) retag
            etc. and even record them from tape, dvd, phono whatever.
            I use altrealplayer and altquicktime, they are included in the kazaalite
            mega codec pack. DVD's are better with powerdvd or mediaplayerclassic.
            I try not to let any file get associated with one software or another,
            if a program insists upon grabbing file associations I don't use it.
            zip and rar and pdf are exceptions

I usually convert wmas to mp3s with another program after ripping the
            offender's arms out of his sockets.

Last edited by Chewy; 1 Dec 2005, 05:58 AM.

Comment

Working...