• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • O-pos
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2005

Problem with mpg file: Media Player Classic can't open it

I have a problem with MPG file. When I open it with winamp, it works, but when I try with media player classic, there is sound, but no image - only audio. This mpg file is a SONY digital camera video file. maybe that's the reason? other mpg-s I that have work perfectly normal on Media Player Classic. Certaing code required? Whole K-lite mega pack is already installed...

Thanks for reply..
  • benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

Hi O-pos,

IMHO, installing codecs packs causes more problem than help because of codec conflict. Please uninstall the K-Lite Mega Pack and test your video with Media Player Classic gain

This mpg file is a SONY digital camera video file. maybe that's the reason
    IMHO, I don't think that MPC has any difficulty opening Sony digital camera video at all. Please tell how you captured video from your Sony camera to your PC (hardware and software...). If you still can't play that video with MPC, please use GSpot or MediaInfo to test it. They will tell you what codec needed. There is a wonderful tool recommended anonymez called "ffdshow". Many users are very happy after using it. Please go the link below and download and install ony the ffdshow-20051013.exe

Please come back and let us know if you need more support

Regards
    Last edited by benbryant; 24 Dec 2005, 08:59 AM.

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

agree with ben

uninstall all codec packs through control panel-->add/remove programs,

then download & install ffdshow. ffdshow is not set to decode DV by default, so go into start--->program files-->ffdshow-->video decoder configuration. find "DV" in the codecs list, and change 'disabled' to 'libavcodec'.

you *should* be able to play all (cam corder) DV video now with any dshow player

just here as a reference:

Originally Posted by anonymez
      my list of what is needed regarding codecs/filters on any PC:

ffdshow - get it from http://www.aziendeassociate.it/cd.asp?dir=/ffdshow

nvidia purevideo codec (you can substitute windvd/powerdvd here) -for dvd's/mpeg-2 (i use dscaler instead, IMO it beats everything else)

real alternative - so you don't have to install 'realone player'

quicktime alternative - so you don't have to install quicktime

media player classic - extremely stable and fast media player. best player ever.

oggDS filter - directshow filter for ogm/ogg

windows media player 10 if you wish

that's it. install nothing else, especially codec packs
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• O-pos
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Dec 2005

Re:

Thank you guys for the replies. actually I thought K-lie mega was best thing i found in internet, because its installation stopped all my long-standing problems with video files more or less. now I see it's not perfect.

Benbryant,

I got the Sony video file as an attachment from my friend. thanks for the link. I'll download ffdshop and let you know what will happen. I forgot to mention that i have win98SE, hope it can support the tool you recommended.

Anonymez,

Thanks for the list, I also use Real- and Quicktime alternatives, and I agree that media player classic is best player, because it't single player which can play large videos without problems. But I have no experiene with oggDS filter, dscaler and nvidia purevideo.. I have no dvd player. do I still need them?

Thanks again guys

O-pos

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by O-pos
          But I have no experiene with oggDS filter, dscaler and nvidia purevideo.. I have no dvd player. do I still need them?
          the idea is to install only the codecs you need. but in the list above, all codecs work fine when installed together and won't cause any conflicts. and when combined with an excellent player such as MPC or VLC, you will be able to play just about anything under the sun

i still recommend you install oggDS. and at least ONE of dscaler, nvidia purevideo, powerdvd. they're used for dvd playback, and are better than MPC's built-in mpeg2 decoder (purevideo and powerdvd have dxva), so i recommend you download one. most people will want to go with powerdvd.
          Last edited by anonymez; 24 Dec 2005, 09:28 PM.

Comment

• O-pos
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Dec 2005

Re:

Merry Christmas!!

OK, here's what I got:

removing K-lite mega:
            -Sony mpg works OK. So it was k-lite...-thanks for advice
            -avi movie (video stream: 949 KBps XviD) - no video signal, only sound
            -wmv - doesn't work

installation of ffdshow:
            -avi movie - there is video, but it goes very slow and causes sound-video dissociation (It didn't happen with K-lite) so it=s impossible to watch it
            -nice effects with sound, but using these features slows media player classic and makes problems with continuity of big files.
            -wmv - still doesn't work ("failed to render the file")

installation of oggds:
            -wmv works ok.
            -avi movie- still audio-video dissociation

Dscaler:
            -I installed it, but didn't know how to use it, nor did it change anything, so I uninstalled it..

Charasteristics of my computer in case you need: 400mhz intel-celeron, 64MB RAM, windodws 98 SE. but it was still possible to play movies with MP classic before.

So what do I have to do now?

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by O-pos
              400mhz intel-celeron, 64MB RAM, windodws 98 SE. but it was still possible to play movies with MP classic before.
              that was unprecedented. its an old PC, and a celeron to boot.

either way, ffdshow should be ideal in this case (infact, it uses less CPU than xvid's decoder). what settings did you enable? post-processing is not a good idea if you want smooth playback on yoru system.
              Last edited by anonymez; 25 Dec 2005, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• O-pos
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Dec 2005

Thanks for advice. I disabled post-processing and now it's perfect. I wish now to say that everything works ok, and that was true for a couples of hours ago, but after I installed real alternative, the SONY mpg file doesn't work again and other mpg-s work - exactly like it was with k-lite. Quicktime alternative is ok, it doesn't cause problems, only real alternative does.

I also did an experiment... I uninstalled real alternative (Sony mpg works) and installed k-lite again, but I disabled there everything except media player classic. so everything had to work like before, but this damn sony mpg doesn't work!! I deinstalled k-lite and installed just media player classic separately - it works...

I don't need real alternative at this moment, but If you still are not tired from me, what can you advice? I downloaded real alternative from free-codecs.com. maybe you know other download address and it can help?

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

the one at free-codecs is fine. if you really really want to play realplayer stuff, guess you can either:

1. format your PC & start all over again. there are a lot of codec conflicts going on, and yes, it seems drastic, but its just my opinion. i play a LOT of videos on both my regular pc and HTPC, and i myself wouldn't tolerate this stuff. its up to you

2. bite the bullet and install realone player

Comment

• O-pos
                    Gold Member
                    Gold Member
                    • Dec 2005

You know, you're right, but I prefer not to install real alternative for a certain time, I don't need it yet. Then I may install win again. but the best choice would be to buy new laptop

Comment

• alloo
                      Will
                      • Jan 2006

I think I solved this! Install the SONY Picture Package!

I had the same problem w/ Sony camcorder files on only 1 machine in the home network. All the machines' media files and players had the same settings. But your thread gave me the clue that it was a Sony Problem! What I realized was that one machine did not have the packages' DirectX, .dll's etc. installed from the SONY PICTURE PACKAGE DVD. All the other machines on the network had the program installed and had no problems.

Find the dvd that came with the camcorder or download the programs from Sony, install all of them, you will see your videos fine! BTW, I use the clunky Viewer in that package to save and convert the sony minidvd files to a hard drive and it works! The files can then be easily used with Adobe PhotoElements or similar which is bliss...

Will

Comment

• mastroalex
                        • May 2005

I had the same problem with MPC and K-lite codec pack. I solved it going to Start > K-lite configuration > ffdshow > Video Decoder Configuration and activating Mpeg decoders with libavcodec.

Comment

Working...