Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cubaboy
    • Jul 2005

Capturing Issues

I'm having problems capturing video from my camcorder. I am using a standard firewire cable and Windv to capture the video. The PC is recognising the camcorder and sometimes it will capture some video most of the time it pause after a few seconds on the pc but still play on the camcorder. I have plenty of memory on my PC (27 gigs). I hope it's a simple case of the configuration of either the pc or Windv???
  • ur3838
    • Aug 2005

It must be a misspelling that you have 27 Gigs of RAM (memory), most people only have 512 mb to 2 gigs of memory. So I assume you have 27 Gigs of HD space (maybe I am wrong).

Your problem could be due to many things. It is necessary to know your system spec, so that people can pinpoint where the problem is. It could be the speed of your cpu (P4?) or hard drive (7200 rpm?), free space of your hard drive or the amount of memory (RAM) you have or sofware as you mentioned above etc etc.. Each hour of video clip will take 12-13 gigs of hd space. The best to do is to have a dedicated hd, specifically for video capture and make sure it is defragmented before each use.

Trying to capture my video with Dell Dimension 4300 with P4 1.7 Gig, 512 MB pc133 memory and a lot of free hd space, I still could not do it. It keeps dropping frames. I am sure that your machine is much faster than that.

I hope this helps. Good lucks

Comment

• cubaboy
      • Jul 2005

Thanks for your reply. My specs are as follows:
      Windows XP Professional
      Intel Pentium 3 Processor
      448mhz
      256 Mb of RAM

As it stands currently I can only get four or five seconds before WinDv freezes up. As I mentioned I have a 40 gig hard drive (of which 27 gigs are free), if I added another 40 gig hard drive to my pc would this increase my RAM and solve my problem????

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

IMO you don't have enough computer to do captures. Even with a hardware encoder such as Hauppage the minimum pc specs IIRC is a P3-733mhz

Comment

• cubaboy
          • Jul 2005

I have two pc's with identical spec, is there anyway that I could use them together, or take parts from on and add then to the other, to solve my problem??

Comment

Working...