X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • angusandtj
    • Dec 2005

No picture from avi/divX on standalone player

Hi Guys!
    You all helped so much before. I have a lot of movies on my pc in AVI/ DivX format and I finally decided to buy a standalone player that can play DivX movies. My first 2 players, including a Pioneer had problems with my standard dvd format Ritek dvd+r discs. They were both DivX certified players and played the DivX movies fine, but since I have a lot more standard format dvd discs, then that wasn’t acceptable. My third attempt got me a player that is MPEG-4 SIMPLE PROFILE compliant. It plays my Ritek dvd+r discs perfectly. My problem is that it plays some AVI movies perfectly and some have sound but no picture. For example, I burned a data disc using Nero that has 6 AVI movies on it. 3 play perfectly and 3 have sound but no picture. It is not a PAL/NTSC issue as my tv does both and it is not a bad file issue as they all play perfectly on my pc and played perfectly on the DivX certified player. It seems evident to me that it is the difference between DivX and MPEG-4. Some of these were dl movies and were just labeled as “avi” so I don’t know which are DivX and which ones aren’t. What can I do to get these to play on my MPEG-4 SIMPLE PROFILE player. Please help!!!! Thanks guys.
  • tigerman8u
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2003

use Gspot (free) and load the avi/s in question to see if they are xvid encoded. If they are it could be they are encoded with Qpel/GMC/custom pixel/non h.283. It could be one or several of the stated reasons.

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

Talk about the AVI file container, and the Divx/Xvid codecs that are most commonly found in AVI files
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...