for those with the "Unknown Video Type" problem...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sTj
    • Apr 2002

for those with the "Unknown Video Type" problem...

for anyone who is having one of those INCREDIBLY annoying "unknown" formats when you goto the the video's properties/details to see what codec you should be running (due to the movie not playing on your system, and the player trying to get new Mpeg4 codecs from MS all the time): after some frusteration, a little thinking, and the knowledge that the SAME file would work on my main system but not on the one i was trying to transfer it to, i remembered that there are still movies out there that are using the SMR codec patch. i know this seems self-explanitory, and even silly to overlook, but it's an easy one to miss! with all the new ways of getting files (p2p, ftp, etc...) a lot of the content we grab has been renamed on us. giving no indication as to what the real codec is. so, before anyone scraps windows, or reinstalls dirx, or even divx, give the SMR patch a shot. it'll p'bly fix you right up.
    oh, and btw, this is for those movies that play sound but no video. at least that was the case with me... best of luck! and i hope this helps at least one person out.
    if anyone could post the link to the smr patch, that would be great. i don't know the url off hand.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If you'd prefer to obtain definite information, rather than speculate about the SMR codec patch or anything else (audio or video), do the following:

1) Load the file into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

You'll find detailed information about both the video and audio codecs used to create the .AVI...

Comment

• sTj
      • Apr 2002

i appreciate your method for discovering the codecs used in the creation of the file. this does not, however, always lead to a positive result. i had done as you stated, and the results were typical. the two that tend to matter most, and which typically stand out (namely: Video Stream / Decompressor and Audio Stream / Compression) are not always accurate when all is said and done. the attached file is a capture of file information on an avi file using the SMR codec patch (my using it was actually deduction as opposed to speculation)... nowhere in the file information is it indicated that SMR was used. now, i suppose that there are some key points to look for, such as "low-motion" and the size of the file vs. the runtime the file, but the average watcher may not know to look for this. once upon a time i did know. though over extended use and a long time of flawlessness one tends to forget. others just never knew. my post was intended to help. using virtual dub in this situation will just breed confusion in my opinion. anyways, i'm not meaning to step on toes here or anything. sorry if i did.
      Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

I'm personally always open to learning new information.

Based on what you've posted, it's apparent that the SMR patch is just that - merely a patch onto, and not a full blown modification of, the DivX 3.11 Low Motion codec, without a hint of its existence.

Other than SMR, I'm not aware of any patches to DivX codecs (Are you?). Therefore, I guess with this one albeit significant exception, I would still recommend using VDub's "File Information" as a first step toward discovering the codecs used to create most .AVIs.
        Last edited by setarip; 13 Apr 2002, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• Wicked Jester
          • Dec 2003

Find the patch at www.shadowrealm.info

Comment

Working...