Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnapCount
    • Dec 2005

Croping 16:9 to 4:3

Hi all, I usually capture DVB video in 16:9, but sometimes the actual show is in 4:3, so I get a "pillarbox" show in 16:9. I would like to be able to crop the pillars out to make it 4:3 fullscreen, and then encode the file either in Xvid or DVD.

Know of any programs that can do this?
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

any program at all-- best way imho is avisynth; but what app are you currently using for conversion?
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• SnapCount
      • Dec 2005

Gordian Knot mate

errr

for xvid to dvd I use VirtualDubMod if the source is 23.973. then >>>

If its 25fps I sometimes use TMPGEnc Plus but usually use MainConcept MPEG Encoder
      Last edited by SnapCount; 4 Mar 2006, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• SnapCount
        • Dec 2005

Can you open .mpg files with avisynth?

I need to crop the mpg file before i encode to Xvid.

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

gordian knot has a cropping function; can be used for mpeg2/dvd-->xvid

as for mpeg to dvd with cropping, you'll want something along the lines of:

LoadPlugin("C:\pathtoplugin\DGDecode.dll")

mpeg2source("C:\pathtoproject\project.d2v")

crop(94,4,532,568)

LanczosResize(720,576)
          but doesn't mainconcept have a crop function?

Comment

• SnapCount
            • Dec 2005

Originally Posted by anonymez
            but doesn't mainconcept have a crop function?
            It does, but if you use the mainconcept app, for some reason the new file is bigger than the original in size (GB's) eg. original 2.xxGb new 3.xxGb.

In vegas you can crop but its slow. Thats why im trying to see if there are other apps out there that can do it faster.

Comment

• SnapCount
              • Dec 2005

Also with that info in your last post, is that for avisynth?

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

yes

Comment

• SnapCount
                  • Dec 2005

I must be sounding like an old hag, me asking all these questions. I can slowly see the light at the end of the tunnel.

But because this is all new to me I need to ask a few questions.....

I just copied and paste the stuff you typed in ya last post, but with the paths all fixed up.

Now what app do i open the text file for AviSynth, VirtualDub? Do i also have to rename it to *.avs?

I used Gordian Knot to make the .d2v file which split the video and audio.

Once I open the file how do i save it as a .mpg in VirtualDub? you can only save files there in .avi

And (theres always an and) now i dont have sound when I opend the avs file. I go to the stream option to but the .mpa audio file, but when I play it i VirtDub still no sound I guess I can just convert the mpa to ac3 or mp2 with another app.

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

save the text file as .avs, it'll be recognised as an avs script by the system. the avs file is now disguised as an avi file. any program capable of opening an avi file can open the avs file-- eg you can now encode with mainconcept, and all cropping & resizing is already done.

vdub is only for avi output

Comment

• SnapCount
                      • Dec 2005

Hi anonymez, its been awhile.

Just need some help again with the croping.

This time mpeg2 to mpeg2 and not to dvix.

Ive finally had it with Vegas with croping Channel 7 streams which they broadcast @ 7Mbits/s. It took 2h40min to render a 42min episode @ 5Mbits/s.

With your previous post about AviSynth it shows that I need to make a .d2v with Gordian Knot. Is this the only way to do it? You cant have a .mpg in the line?

I would like to also try to crop in MainConcept MPEG Encoder or with TMPGEnc Plus, but dont know by how much to do it on either side??

Btw where did you learn all the commands for AviSynth? I still dont have a clue on how to use that app

Comment

• anonymez
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2004

hi snapcount,

With your previous post about AviSynth it shows that I need to make a .d2v with Gordian Knot. Is this the only way to do it? You cant have a .mpg in the line?
                        there are other ways, eg mpegdecoder.dll or directshowsource(), but they're not exactly stable, especially the latter.

btw d2v creation need not be done through GK, it's a standalone app, DGindex

I would like to also try to crop in MainConcept MPEG Encoder or with TMPGEnc Plus, but dont know by how much to do it on either side??
                        haven't used mainconcept in quite some time, but doesn't it have a preview of some sort?

script tuning can be done with virtualdub/mod, open the script, adjust crop, and reload script in vdubmod to see the effects

Btw where did you learn all the commands for AviSynth? I still dont have a clue on how to use that app
                        plenty of documentation at http://www.avisynth.org

Comment

• SnapCount
                          • Dec 2005

MainConcept doesnt have a preview box thing.... hence its useless to me cause dont know by how much per side i need to chop off.

Tried the settings that you gave me. Put it into MainConcept, just did a test with 30sec of mpg file. Very nasty image tearing. So I tried it with TMPGEnc and the same thing happened. Both was done with 2pass VBR.

Same Max, Avg, Min bitrates MC was @ 16.7mb TMPGEnc was @ 17.8. Original file was @ 30mb

Comment

• anonymez
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2004

Tried the settings that you gave me
                            what settings? you mean the script at post #5? those were guidelines

Comment

Working...