X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vault
    • Sep 2006

High bitrate playback problems

Hi,

I am having problems playing HD (or near HD) divx video...the videos I am having problems with are 1280x720 4015 kbps. It plays but the video playback is kind of slow.

I have a 2.8 ghz xeon (ht), 1 gig ram, nvidia quadrofx 550, and windows xp pro sp2. There really are no other processes running that are hogging CPU/ram.

I have the divx 6.25 and xvid codecs on...xvid is decoding divx for me though.

The video plays smoothly in videolan but the quaity is not as good. If I turn off all the deblocking and postprocessing options, the video runs at a decent speed but with lost quality.

What is wrong and how can I fix this so the videos run smoothly at the highest possible quality?

thanks
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

welcome to the forum

What is wrong and how can I fix this so the videos run smoothly at the highest possible quality?
    sounds like nothing is wrong really, the higher the res, the more cpu load, even more so with post processing; is it really needed in this case? 720p mpeg4 at 4mpbs sounds reasonably good to me.

haven't used divx in a while but if their recent claims of decoder performance improvements mean anything it may just decode more efficiently than xvid, disable DX50 in supported fourCC's in xvid's decoder config and try again
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• vault
      • Sep 2006

thanks anonymez

what could i do if i wanted to improve this though and have more postprocessing effects?

no media player is multithreaded, afaik? so even another processor wouldn't fix this?

is there any graphics card that offers extra hardware support for playing back hd/near-hd videos?

i'm expecting to need to play, edit, and possibly encode a lot of these quality videos in the future.

thanks

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

no media player is multithreaded, afaik?
        player won't matter, decoder will. IIRC divx's decoder & encoder were multithreaded since 6.1, so you might like to try what was stated in my previous post . recent ffdshow builds are multithreaded too

is there any graphics card that offers extra hardware support for playing back hd/near-hd videos?
        most graphics cards, say geforce 5 series and ati's radeon 9x00 have dxva and will assist mpeg2 decoding. geforce 6600GT and up and ati's X1X00 series will assist with H264 decoding with the right drivers and decoder. however AFAIK no card to date will help with mpeg4 part 2, eg divx/xvid
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...