Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PantherCat
    • May 2002

Audio Help Please

I've seen numerous postings on audio problems and having the proper codecs installed. I have an avi with no picture problems but no sound what so ever. I've installed (and uninstalled) so many codecs and codec packages with no success. Can anyone tell me what codec is needed for Audio Stream Compression label: Unknown (tag 0075)? Here are the complete specs of the file if it may be of assistance.

Video Stream
    - Frame size, fps (us per frame): 320x240, 15,000 fps (66667 us)
    - # of frames (time): 51961 (57:44)
    - Decompressor: DivX MPEG-4 3917 Fast
    - Number of key frames: 515
    - Min/avg/max total key frame size: 486/4172/16922 (2099K)
    - Min/avg/max total delta frame: 0/1558/9750 (78287K)

Audio Stream
    - Sampling rate: 16000Hz
    - Channels: 1 (Mono)
    - Sample precision: 16-bit
    - Compression: Unknown (tag 0075)
    - Preload skew: 7 samples (0.00s)
    - # of frames: 51951
    - Min/avg/max/total frame size: 128/133/896 (6766K)

THANKS!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Compression: Unknown (tag 0075)"

The audiostream was created with the "Voxware Metasound" codec...

Comment

• PantherCat
      • May 2002

thanks for the info.

a follow-up though: i did some searching for the codec and basically only found it in Windows Media Player Codecs version 8 (which had several other codecs that i either didn't need or already had), i installed the package ... still no sound

do you know if there's something else that needs to be done with the codec (does it need to be registered with windows - i have XP - if so can you tell me how?)

or if you know if that singurlar codec can be downloaded and installed on its own

or maybe even tell me of a method to get virtualdub to copy and save the file with a different audio format

thanks again

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"i installed the package ... still no sound"

If you now load the .AVI into VIrtualDub and again look under "File Information", does it still say, "Compression: Unknown (tag 0075)". If so, you haven't successfully installed the codec...

Comment

• PantherCat
          • May 2002

you're right, it apparently wasn't installed, but it's working now - let me tell you how

i again played it in windows media player (verifying that the "download codecs automatically" was checked on under the "options: player: automatic updates" section), this time it played

i don't think it was because i downloaded the windows meadia player codec package, i think it was because i gave WMP enough time to download the codec and install it itself

previously whenever i clicked on the file, WMP would start but nothing would happen, i would see the name of the file scrolling in the in the player's screen but that would be it

this time i just left it alone and after about two or three minutes the file began to play and the sound was there (also of importance: i was connected to the internet throughout this process)

i guess it's a lesson for the kids ... patience

but, once again, thanks a lot "setarip" - never would have happened without you identifying the proper codec for me

Comment

Working...