Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • qwerty641
    • May 2002

avi file plays audio but no video

i downloaded a divx encoded avi file (as claimed by the filename).. its supposedly a movie file of 693 MB.. so im reluctant to delete it.. whats the problem.. anyone??
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Which codec are you using ?,

Some people appear to have problems with divx3.11 encoded movies, when using divx5.x.

So if you use divx5, try uninstalling that, and install divx3.11 instead. Or if you feel that you are ok with some registry editing, there is a fix in this thread
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

In order to determine which codec you need for a particular .AVI, you should do the following:

1) Load the file into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• qwerty641
        • May 2002

thanx

i was using divx 3.1alpha codec... i had to for some reason uninstall it and reinstall it to make it work... screwed up registry settings i guess..

cheers..

Comment

• iggypoo
          • May 2002

okay, i have a similar problem with my computer. i can't seem to play 4 of my movies and i seriously can't seem to find out why... as someone suggested earlier, i've used virtualdub and captured the 'file info' window. here they are - one that i can play, two that i can't. please, if there is anyone out there who knows what my problem is, help me out. and by the way, i've tried Divx 3 alpha and 5.0... both wont play the 4 movies.
          Attached Files

Comment

• paffo
            • Jun 2002

IS THIS A JOKE? / Need 3.11a for Mac

I have a Mac with OS 9.1.

Recently, I "upgraded" my Divx to 5.0, as my 3.11 had expired.

Now, I can't seem to find the right combination of programs to view the hundreds of avi movies I used to be able to view with 3.11.

Am I out of luck?, I feel like I've tried everything. Even when I convert my .avi movies to .mov with Divx Doctor II, I end up with the message, "...encountered an error in the program".

I thought maybe I could get by by downloading 3.11 again, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Am I SOL? Could it be there's no solution for me until they, (the DIVX people), figure it out?

Desperate,

James
            p.s-. does anyone, anywhere know where I can download the old 3.11a for my Mac? (OS9.1)

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

To iggypoo

Based on the VERY low number of frames for the audiostreams of the first two videos, I'd guess that you've got a couple of incomplete downloads.

Other than that, these videos require the DivX v.3.11alpha codec...

Comment

Working...