Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sparkypine
    • Sep 2006

Random quick fast forward playback

It doesn't seem to matter which video format I use but, during playback occasionally the movie will quickly skip ahead a few frames and a second or two will get cut off. It is almost as if it suddenly fast forwards for a second then goes back to normal. It happens every couple of minutes and it ends up cutting off dialogue which can get annoying. I've had task manager running to see if anything is eating up cpu or ram, but I'm running a dual core with an nvidia PCIe x16 video card so subtle changes do not show...if there even are any.

Does this sound like a bogus codec? If so, how do you effectively clean out your codecs so that new ones can go in properly? Where is there a clean codec to use?

Does this sound like the antivirus software is interfering? I am using Kaspersky 6.
  • benbryant
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Aug 2005

Try VLC player or Media Player Classic to see if they help

Regards

Comment

• sparkypine
      • Sep 2006

re: random quick fast forward playback

My apologies for not being more clear, especially after reading through some of the other posts regarding my issue. I am using MP Classic and have a gig of RAM.

I saw something about trying a new version of ffdshow and something else regarding changing my NIC to a static speed from "auto". I can try those. Was hoping it would be something easy, like a bum codec that I would simply replace.

Comment

• anonymez
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

welcome to the forum

for how long has it been happening? does it happen randomly throughout the video or in the same spots? with all containers/codecs?

in any case do as ben said and play with VLC, it'll determine whether it's a codec problem or not
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• sparkypine
          • Sep 2006

response to posts

Ok, will try all the above. I will post my results as it appears this is not uncommon.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

• sparkypine
            • Sep 2006

Found it

Looks like Nvidia's newer drivers hosed my video card's performance. In fact, it was registering as a 6800 when it is only a 6600 PCIe with TurboCache. Using Drivercleaner and installing an older driver got it under control.

Comment

Working...