X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jay31
    • May 2002

audio/video sync on some players

Here is a major doubt:
    some movies, not all, when I watch them through WMPlayer6.4, MicroDVD, GDivx, etc have audio out of sync with video.
    The same movies, when seen through DIVX Player 2 and VirtualDub are ok. (Divx Player has crappy sound and VirtualDub is not very suitable for watching movies)
    If I remember correctly, some time ago I could see one of these movies without any problems through MicroDVD. In the meantime I installed Divx5, WM7 and the update for the WM8.
    I uninstalled all the above, installed the WMPlayer 6.4 again and Divx 3.11 alone but the problem still persist.
    I presume that it must be some codec that the first players are using but not so the VirtualDub, but I can't figure out which that might be.
    Any help would be appreciated.
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

If you installed the divx 4.x codecs, you must uninstall them, then re-install divx 3.11 alpha.

Comment

• supern0va
      • May 2002

also get same problem

Just wondering if anyone knows a solution to this problem...

I sync'ed the sound in VirtualDub, and it plays fine there, but I tried in gDivx and MediaPlayer and the sound is off sync. It's pretty weird, because sometimes the audio preceeds the video and sometimes vice versa...

Btw, I encoded in Divx 5...

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

What is the resolution of the movie and your CPU speed?

Comment

• supern0va
          • May 2002

my processor is an athlon 600 with 384 mb ram.

the resolution of the movie is 720x480 (is this too much for my processor to handle?)

i think it's something with divx 5, because i used to encode in divx 3.11 and my movies were okay. Also, the movie plays fine on the player that comes with divx 5, but not on media player (6.4) or gdivx.

thanks.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

my processor is an athlon 600 with 384 mb ram. the resolution of the movie is 720x480 (is this too much for my processor to handle?)
            Yes. You need to reduce the resolution to 512x() or lower. Playing back in lower desktop resolution and colour depth will help as well.

Comment

• supern0va
              • May 2002

Thanks, Enchanter.

I actually tried re-encoding at 560 X 432 yesterday last night and everything played smoothly. The thing is, I've played other movies at 720 width resolution and they played perfectly on Media Player. Is this an encoding problem rather than a playback one?

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

It may have something to do with the amount of bitrate you assigned to the more playable file. To a lesser extent (compared to the video resolution), the higher the bitrate, the more CPU power is required.

Comment

• jay31
                  • May 2002

solution to "audio/video sync on some players"

I uninstalled all the codecs and WM7, and then re-installed Divx 3.11 and WM6.4 and everything is fine now.
                  Thanks to your replies.

Comment

Working...