Best way to convert DivX Audio to MP3 and the best MP3 codec ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aLu
    • May 2002

Best way to convert DivX Audio to MP3 and the best MP3 codec ?

Since the "regular" DivX players don't support DivX Audio any more, it's convenient to encode my sound to MP3. The "official" Fraunhofer codec previously installed on my system only permitted low bitrates and quality (something like 22 khz ~), so I installed the Radium MP3 codec which has practically overwritten the Fraunhofer entries in the VirtualDub encoder list and shows up _twice_ as "MPEG Layer 3" with the same bitrate options.
    Now - when encoding directly from PCM [32 kHz stereo, my machine won't capture more without stuttering(AC 97)], the quality is agreeable though in clarity not quite as good at 128 kHz as the DivX Audio encoder at 64 kHz. This MP3 codec always tends to sound like playing an egg-formed LP, especially noticeable with theme). When converting from DivX Audio (64 kbit stereo) to MP3 (96-128 kbit/s.) either directly or via PCM-decompression, the codec introduces noise at high frequencies and high volume, apart from making the audio sound like a scrappy old cinema copy that alternates between 23,9-24,995 imgs/sec. (;-/ not that drastic, really). THIS_IS_SHIT! With that codec (have to look up the version), it's virtually impossible to convert without loosing too much quality.

So I have some questions, first a rather silly one(?):
    * DivX Audio is a WMA hack, but isn't it also MP3? Any trick to turn it "officially" into MP3 audio (just changing the header isn't enough)

* Which MP3 encoder offers the same quality (and maybe even the possibility to encode at 32 kHz 64 kbit/s stereo, not just mono) as DivX audio and isn't too ILLEGAL? I'll try 'em all ... This question will be obsolete soon, but any opinions/ suggestions are welcome.
Working...