X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mortee
    • Aug 2002

can't uninstall Ace Mega Codecs Pack

Hi,

I have the following problem: I have some old version of Ace Mega Codecs Pack installed on a WinXP SP2 computer, which I'd like to uninstall in favor of a different, more recent pack. The problem is that when I try to uninstall it, it will start the process, and then pops up an error message saying:

"Invalid class string."

When I close the message window, the uninstaller just hangs there idle, with any controls disabled - I have to kill it from Task Manager.

Does anyone have an idea about what the problem may be, and how I could get aroung it?

thx
    mortee
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

Read Reviews and Write Comments - Download ACE Mega CodecS Pack 6.03 - Professional Edition : This is the lastest and greatest release of famous ACE Mega CoDecS Pack

looks bad for the new version also

Comment

• soup
      Just Trying To Help
      • Nov 2005

You can try uninstalling it through Tools in CCleaner.

Edit: There is also HiJackThis, Open Misc Tools Section, Open Uninstall Manager.
      Last edited by soup; 10 Feb 2007, 08:18 AM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

if you MUST use Ace for whatever reason, 6.01 is safe. you shouldn't need this anyway though. delete whatever you can manually and forget about it unless it causes problems. maybe someone has a way to remove it...
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• mortee
          • Aug 2002

Well, thanks for the replies. In fact, I'm not bound to ACE at all. I was about to switch to k-lite (it seems to be quite regularly maintained), and on install, it complained about ACE being installed on the box, which refused to uninstall for the above mentioned reason.

Thanks for the pointers to cleanup tools - those seem to be really useful stuff, I saved them for later, but in this specific case neither could help me. All they could do was to remove the uninstall entry for ACE from the registry, but not actually clean up after it.

In the end, I just searched the registry for any driver entries with files from the ACE installation dir, I deleted them (unregistering the components using "regsvr32.exe /u" didn't succeed from some reason), and then I removed the ACE directory itself. After that, I considered the pack to be mostly cleaned up, and now k-lite seems to work as expected.

Again, thanks for the tips and suggestions.

Comment

• soup
            Just Trying To Help
            • Nov 2005

I have taken a liking to the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack C/W the Codec Tweak Tool. BTW, glad it's okay now.

Comment

• olyteddy
              • Nov 2006

Why do you need a 'Pack' anyway? I installed FFDSHOW and other codecs only as needed. Cleaner and less chance of interactions.

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

Why do you need a 'Pack' anyway? I installed FFDSHOW and other codecs only as needed
                exactly. taking a look at what's contained in the k-lite pack here, all i see are redundancies. estimate ~98% of that crap isn't needed. the "Ace" pack is even worse.

LOL and they call it a "professional edition"
                "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• fozziebear
                  • Feb 2007

Originally Posted by anonymez
                  exactly. taking a look at what's contained in the k-lite pack here, all i see are redundancies. estimate ~98% of that crap isn't needed. the "Ace" pack is even worse.

LOL and they call it a "professional edition"
                  Elaborating further on this, which codecs are really necessary. I do have the K-Lite pack and I agree , going through all the posts here, it is full of unnecessary @#$#$%..
                  Or is this "too off topic "

Comment

• ppnaive
                    • Feb 2007

thx for sharing those information, it's very useful.
                    Last edited by anonymez; 26 Feb 2007, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Working...