Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rhomulus
    • Jan 2002

sound stops after 6 min....

I have a copy of a movie that I downloaded in avi. format which seems to be okay when it begins but then the sound will stop after approximately 6 min. The picture is still fine, but no matter where you drag the slider to in WMP, the sound is gone. Even if you drag it back to the beginning where you heard sound the first time, it is gone after the 6 min. period. If you restart the movie and play it at a different section (say in the middle), you will still only get the 6 min. of sound.

Is there a way that I can fix this sound problem without having to download the movie again?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Sounds like you've either gotten an incomplete download or a download with only six minutes of audio.

Just out of curiosity, do the following:

1) Load the file into VirtualDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• Rhomulus
      • Jan 2002

file information....

Video:

frame size: 640x384, 25.000 fps
      # of frames: 98178 (1:05:27)
      Decompressor: DivX pro 5.0 Codec
      # of Key frames: 98178
      min/avg/max/total key frame size: 129/5404/67844 (518215K)
      min/avg/max/total delta frame size: (no delta frames)

Audio:

Sampling rate: 48 000 Hz
      Channels: 5 (Stereo)
      Sample Precision: 0-bit
      Comression: Unknown (tag 2000)
      Preload skew: 24 000 samples (0.50 s)
      # of frames: 98167
      min/avg/max/total frame size: 960/1920/24 000 (184084K)

This was one half of a movie that was split in two serperate parts because of file size. The first half was a completed download though, through edonkey.
      I'm waiting on the second part however because I want to know if this is a reparable problem in case the 2nd part has the same flaw....

thanks,
      Rhomulus

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Two things appear to be "unusual":

1) Video - Keyframe for every frame

2) Audio (which, by the way, is allegedly in .AC3 format) - Virtually the same number of frames as the video. This would normally be the case for CBR-.MP3 audio, but not for .AC3 audio

If you wish to explore this further, I;d suggest that you do the following, in order to convert the audiostream to a .WAV file, which you can then play in Windows Media Player and see if it plays for more than 6 minutes:

Load the .AVI file into VDUB1.4C-AC3, set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying" and select (under "File") "Save .WAV/.AC3" - and save as .AC3 (IMPERATIVE to save as .AC3!).

Despite the fact that .AC3 file extracted using VDub-AC3 doesn't play properly, PX3AC3Converter will do a perfect job of converting it to .WAV format. (or, as others have suggested, use BeSweet to convert).

Comment

• Rhomulus
          • Jan 2002

thanks...

I'll give it a shot in VDUB first and see what I get.

Rhomulus

Very impressive reply time by the way....only having to wait 5 min. for a response....I could get used to this

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Just fortunate timing...

By the way, read my post very carefully - do not use the "normal" VirtualDub:

"Load the .AVI file into VDUB1.4C-AC3"

Comment

• Rhomulus
              • Jan 2002

fixed...

I happened to have Vdub 1.4c on my computer already so that wasn't a hassle, but I had to get something to change it into the .wav file. Worked like a charm. I had a very big sound file but I just watched that half of the movie right after I did it and then deleted it.
              That's the problem with downloading a movie from somebody else instead of ripping it yourself...you never know what's been done to it.

thanks for the help,
              Rhomulus

Comment

Working...