MS Powerpoint hangs when I try to insert a wmv movie....

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • s_hari_82
    • Mar 2007

MS Powerpoint hangs when I try to insert a wmv movie....

Hi,

I generated a movie with WMEncoder and tried to insert it into Powerpoint and it hangs.... Has anyone encountered a similar problem.
  • iamstd2
    • Apr 2011

Help for you

First of all, what OS do you have? I'll assume you have windows 7, just because that's what I have.
    Second, what year of Office do you have? again, I'll assume 2010 cuz that's what I have.

I had the same problem. PowerPoint would always freeze up the moment I selected my video. Apparently, (through countless hours of Google search) anti-virus can cause hangup with a lot of PowerPoint actions. However, Norton and McAfee don't seem to cause this; Windows is causing its own problems! Win7 comes with a program called Windows Defender, which I guess is Microsoft's version of anti-virus. When you try to embed a video, that program causes PowerPoint to fry its own brain and crash itself. But enough talk, let's get to your help:

-Open the start menu
    -In the search bar type "services.msc" and open "Services." It should have a gear icon.
    -When the window appears, you'll see a list of programs. Scroll through and find Windows Defender.
    -Right click on it, then choose "Stop." You won't have to have it running if you have your own virus protection.
    -Right click it again and choose "Properties." On the General tab, look for the Startup Type option. Choose "Disabled" so it doesn't hinder with your work again.
    -Restart your computer and you're ready to go!!

I'm glad to be helpful for you!!

EDIT:
    If you have 2003, try considering turning off "check spelling as you type" on the spelling and grammar tab in the options.
    Last edited by iamstd2; 2 Apr 2011, 06:59 AM. Reason: Additional information

Comment

Working...