Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jay31
    • May 2002

WMA v2 - audio problems and doubts

I have a problem that seems recurrent: the movies with wma have no sound when played. The players connect the codec server, it downloads the "appropriate" codec, but still doesn't play. The audio property of the file is: Windows Media Audio V2, 64 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo (for audio/video).

I tried the prescribed solutions: uninstalling the wm7, re-installing the wmp 6.4, re-installing the 3.11a (divx 4.12 and 5 were previously uninstalled), but none worked.

The funny thing is that when I open the file in Virtualdub (Properties of audio: Sampling rate:44100Hz, Stereo, 16-bit, Compression: Unknown (tag 0161)) it has no problem at all in playing it! Which puzzles me even more because it would mean that the correct codec is installed and used (by Virtualdub and none other).

Does anyone have a checked solution and/or explanation for the above?

Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

The file is using the DivX v.3.11alpha codec's hacked version of WMA audio ("DivX audio"). Simply download and install the v.3.11 alpha codec...

Comment

• jay31
      • May 2002

Thanks for the suggestion.
      I tried it all, uninstalled the WM7, reinstalled WM6.4, reinstalled the 3.11alpha, even tried with Nimo pack but the result is the same - no sound with WMA 2 (except in Virtualdub).
      Any further help will be very appreciated, especially from users who have had the same problem and fixed it, for this is getting very frustrating.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

The other possibility is that it uses the actual (unhacked) original Microsoft version of the codec - which is available in many of the "codec packs" at DivX Digest and similar...

Comment

• jay31
          • May 2002

That could be a possibility. Or could it be that the windows registry points to some other codec instead of the right one?
          If you have the information, please post the name of the file(s) the hacked codec uses and I'll manually replace them (and I'll also check the registry).

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"That could be a possibility"

Try it...

Comment

• jay31
              • May 2002

Do you know the name of the file of the specific codec I'd have to try to replace?

Comment

• jay31
                • May 2002

Ok, it was a very simple, ridiculous thing: I noticed that in Virtualdub, audio compression, the DivX audio codec wasn't listed. So I started looking around the registry to see if something could be done there. Until I noticed that in the Control Panel the Divx audio device was disabled. I don't know what program could have done it but the important thing is that it works now.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

Congratulations on resolving your problem ;>}

Comment

• derek_bartram
                    • Jun 2002

Windows Audio V2

Where in the control panel?

Comment

• Enchanter
                      Old member
                      • Feb 2002

Control Panel -> Sounds & Multimedia -> Hardware -> Audio Codecs -> Properties. This applies for Win2K/XP, though Win98 will have a similar path.

Comment

• derek_bartram
                        • Jun 2002

Thanks for your help mate! I actually fixed it using the nimo pack in the end. Appart from the 1 files that wouldn't copy the NIMO pack is superb [although I havn't tryed encoding from it yet]. It's a definate must for everyone!

Comment

Working...