X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kjao
    • Aug 2007

How important is 3CCD?

Hi all,

This is my first post here so hopefully I post it in the right forum.

Anyway, I am looking to purchase a miniDV camcorder in the next month or two. I have got a budget of AU$1000 and I have been leaning towards the Panasonic models with 3CCD. However a couple of friends have recommended Sony and JVC models to me as well. All of them don't have 3CCD at my price range (or at least in Australia). So my question is how important/useful is 3CCD?

Another question I have is about PAL and NTSC. I can see the price difference between Australia and US/Asia is quite big (eg GS320 is about AU$800 but only US$400 in US) so I am thinking about purchasing the camcorder overseas. However we have got PAL system here in Australia and US has got NTSC. Does it matter which format the camcorder is in? Or I can change the system once I have upload and edit on my computer?

I will be using the camcorder for my wedding in Dec and my honeymoon trip to Asia at the end of this year.

Thanks

Kenny
  • pfloyd
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jun 2007

There are programs that let you change from NTSC to PAL and vice versa.
    A 3CCD will give a far superior video than a 1CCD. The 3CCD is one CCD for the three prime colors. RED, GREEN, BLUE, whereas the 1CCD does it all with 1CCD. Therego that is way the 3CCD is more expensive.
    You raise the blade,
    You make the change,
    You rearange me till I'm sane.
    You lock the door, throw away
    the key,
    There's someone in my head
    and it's not me.

Comment

• RFBurns
      To Infinity And Byond
      • May 2006

Howdy!

As pfloyd stated, a 3 CCD imager is far superior to a single CCD imager. Instead of just one imaging device capturing the entire visible and part of the infrared spectrum, 3 imagers do the job with a greater signal to noise ratio as well as allow filtering with a single prisim (note pfloyd's avitar image, prisim taking full spectrum light and dividing it into the color bands) and focus on the 3 primary color wavelengths. A much higher resolution and signal to noise ratio is achieved. Plus, white balance is maintained across a wider range of lighting conditions.

Here..I will fix it!

Sony Digital Video and Still camera CCD imager service

MCM Video Stabalizer

Comment

• atifsh
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2003

all of that + one thing where do u want to shoot?
        big issue with these cams is they all got small ccds 1/6 compared to 1/4.7 thus u will get really poor quality in normal or low light situations. use a light lamp that usually pros use and ull get excellent quality picture. so... if ur on tight budget get GS320 otherwise if u can find good deal get GS 500 or GS400 if u can find it somwhere but u cant get widescreen on GS400.

dont get lower models they got bad electronic image stablization that will stop working after few months use. 320 i remember uses optical.

pal/NTSC thing is not big deal, as most newer models of televisions and dvd players support both ntsc / pal excluding US where its hard to find multi system i think.

as of panasonic site GS320 is US$500,
        GS500 is removed from the site perhaps to give boost to their HD models. was similarly prized at round 1000$ before.
        Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• kjao
          • Aug 2007

Thanks for all the replies, they have all been very useful.

I know that 3CCD will give you much better colour reproduction but I guess my concern is that the sensor in GS320 is kind of small (1/6"), compared to, say Sony HC96 which has a 1/3" sensor. And I have been reading a few reviews on GS320 and they all seem to recommend to get the earlier model if possible (eg GS250). And most of the reviews seem to like Sony HC96 with a few minor caveats. So if there is anyone who has tried/owned both cameras (GS320 and HC96) or got any opinions, can you please share some insights? For example, is it better to get GS320 + light lamp or just go for HC96?

Ideally I would like to get GS500 but it is out of my budget (they are being sold for ~AU$1700 here in Australia!).

BTW, how much are light lamps being sold for?

Thanks again

cheers
          Kenny

Comment

• olyteddy
            • Nov 2006

You might also get a repair shop to switch an NTSC camera to PAL. I had a Sony Hi8 that could be switched using the 'diagnostics' remote control.

Comment

• atifsh
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2003

Originally Posted by olyteddy
              You might also get a repair shop to switch an NTSC camera to PAL. I had a Sony Hi8 that could be switched using the 'diagnostics' remote control.
              never heard of such but could be useful.

Comment

• atifsh
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2003

Originally Posted by kjao
                my concern is that the sensor in GS320 is kind of small (1/6"), compared to, say Sony HC96 which has a 1/3" sensor.
                here u go

look even the 18 db gain of gs320 cant compete with the big ccd of sony.

but if u use light lamp even the crapy [not so bright] the balance may go towards the panasonic for the better colors and overall picture.

i use the stripdown version of gs320 myself the GS180 and almost have to use the software filters to make it bright if i use indoor. but few days back on my brothers wedding i hired a guy to stick with the pro movie guy my brother hired so i could get a home video fast. and even i didnt believe the quality i got. they thought i somhow got the orignal tapes from the pro.
                Last edited by atifsh; 11 Aug 2007, 12:01 AM.

Comment

• kjao
                  • Aug 2007

Thanks atifsh for the comparison. I will definitely be getting a light lamp with whatever video camcorder I end up with.

BTW, which one would you go for, GS320 or GS300?

Thanks
                  Kenny

Comment

• atifsh
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2003

if u can find GS300, its better interms of quality..... check video resolution.......

Comment

Working...