X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike18xx
    Toonaholic
    • Apr 2006

Editing LAME-encoded VBR mp3s?

Situation: I'm attempting to make a 700mb CD-sized rip from a much larger, virtually flawless video 1.6gig x264 rip which has severe skipping problems on less-the-screaming-fast PCs. The video, as I said, is perfect. The AC3 audio, otoh, was far too loud.

I used "Ultra Video Joiner" to convert the x264 into a single 2.2gig MPEG2 (using the best possible setting, "superb") archive. (Total Video Converter, the other application I have for this sort of this, insists upon breaking MPEG2s into 1gig chunks.)

I then ran my venerable old reliable AutoGK 2.40 on the MPEG2 using default XviD settings (save for screen-width). The LAME encoder produced a very nice-sounding and volume-corrected 101mbps VBR audio stream. The 700mb is indiscernably different from the x264 rip when played at 1024x768 resolution with regular mid-grade paired speakers, and I'm otherwise very happy with the output.

Problem: Both Ultra Video Joiner and Total Video Converter introduce an annoying "tick" at the beginning of the file when converting to MPEG2. (Possibly the tick is in the original audio, but it gets skipped on my slower machine.) The tick is 0.001 seconds long and would be easy enough to clip out.

-- I'd like to be able to just open up the VBR stream, zoom in on a wave-form and delete the 0.001 second-length tick, and save, *without* having to completely demux and re-encode it. Or, if that is necessary, have it done by a utility which will create an output file of the same length and characteristics. What do you recommend?
    Last edited by mike18xx; 25 Aug 2007, 05:16 AM.
  • olyteddy
    • Nov 2006

MP3 DirectCut can be used to create a simple fade without having to re-encode the audio, it prefers CBR but I have done VBR in it. Of course you'll have to demux and remux, but it won't mess with your encoding.

Comment

Working...