X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evacq8
    • Jun 2008

Home Videos not working, codec needed

Hi there

I'm a newbie here and I have been trying unsuccessfully to solve my problem, then I stumbled across DV forums, and I thought if someone here can't help then who can?!

I have some 'movies' of my little one that were taken via a Kodak digital video camera from when she was a bub. They come through as a .mov file when I import them from the camera to my PC.

I use AVS video converter to convert them from .mov to either .avi or .mpeg files.

I recently tried to clean up my file on my PC where all these video files are kept, in order to start putting them onto a DVD. So I started renaming them. I could see a thumbnail of most, but when I renamed some, there was no more thumbnail, just a pic of the program that you might use to open them, say VLC media player or Winamp symbol. When I click on these files now. There is no video image, only the sound works.

I have installed many video codecs today and nothing has helped. i have installed GSpot to see which codec I need and it tells me I need LEAD Video Codec. I don't know how to fix it or what to do next.

Any ideas?
  • evacq8
    • Jun 2008

Upon further investigation. I have found that I needed Lead MCMP_MJPEG Codec to make my files work.

Any suggestions on freeware that will do the same trick??

Comment

• paglamon
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2005

Didn't the camera come with an installation CD ? That should take care of the codec issue IMO. Otherwise ,try FFDSHOW .Then, under Video Decoder Cofiguration, set MJPG to libavcodec.

Installing Microsoft DirectX 9.0 may also solve your problem.See this:http://www.wmplugins.com/ItemDetail.aspx?ItemID=732
      Last edited by paglamon; 11 Jun 2008, 10:58 PM.
      sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• evacq8
        • Jun 2008

Thanks Paglamon for the advice, but it has not changed/fixed my problem. I uninstalled the lead MCMP_MJPEG codec before I installed your suggestions, and it's the same as before. Only the sound comes through.

I am not sure that it would matter having the software for my camera, as i have already converted these files using AVS video converter. But I can go dig them out if you think that they still may help...

Comment

• paglamon
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2005

before I installed your suggestions
          Which one?
          sigpic

Comment

• evacq8
            • Jun 2008

I uninstalled the LEAD MCMP_MJPEG Codec that I put on and then restarted my PC.

I installed FFDSHOW with no difference and then I also installed Microsoft DirectX 9.0. I tried my video files and I was back to sound only, no video.

Comment

• paglamon
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

I installed FFDSHOW with no difference
              And did you configure the Video Decoder as I had earlier suggested?
              sigpic

Comment

• evacq8
                • Jun 2008

Yes I configured the video decoder as suggested

Comment

• paglamon
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Aug 2005

OK. Try to open your file with GSpot and give us a screenshot of the GSpot window.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...