Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jaymz13
    • Feb 2007

Problem with playback of factory DVDs

Hey, I've got a TSST Corp (Samsung) TS-H552 DVD+/-RW drive in my eMachines computer that has a very hard time reading newer DVDs, especially ones encoded with Sony's latest encryption technology. You know the ones...where the readable surface looks all wavy and kaleidascopic. It doesn't even detect these discs, and I've cleaned the crap out of the lens, so I know that's not the problem. If I double-click the drive icon, it tells me to insert a disc in drive E to continue. It has no problem reading older discs though. The problem is, there is no more recent firmware than version D, which is what mine came pre-installed with, so I can't update the firmware. In fact, I can't even find a website that hosts version D for this particular model. I called Samsung, and they referred me to eMachines. I called eMachines, and they referred me to Samsung. Big surprize there... Is there anyway I can get around this problem? I've Yahooed and Googled myself to death on this one, and I found no info on how to force a DVD drive to detect a disc.
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

What OS are you running?

Comment

• doctorhardware
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2006

I think that his drive is toast.
      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• paglamon
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

I've got a TSST Corp (Samsung) TS-H552 DVD+/-RW drive
        Is it TS-H552D ? Then here are the latest firmwares:http://www.firmwarehq.com/Samsung/TS-H552D/files.html
        sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• Jaymz13
          • Feb 2007

Yeah, my drive is toast. Got a new LG today. The old one is in "paper-weight" mode.
          Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...