• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Multiple HDTVs Hooked Up To Cable Box Via HDMI:

Ok, I got this job to hook up 3 19" and 1 40" HDTVs to a single cable box via HDMI. So the HDMI cables is the easy part. I'm going to need a 4 port HDMI splitter/switch box to connect the 4 sets to and the cable box. I found this which is 3D ready:

Is there anything else I might need? Do any of you know of a better deal on one of these or something even better that would suffice? Any hook up suggestions at all is appreciated for the project. Let me know asayc.

Also I'll be needing the HDTV sets as well. So input on some brands pertaining to the sizes in question is most welcomed. Obviously I'll be looking at some Sony/Toshiba/Samsung HDTVs. Though my expertise here is new. Thnx.

Also looking at this: http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Powered...outThisProduct

Don't know what difference if any between the 2, other than the price.
    Last edited by dr_ml422; 8 Jun 2010, 04:42 AM.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

The Amazon one is a lot cheaper, but I can't see how the more expensive one will be better. Both should be "3D ready" if they can handle high bandwidth HDMI signals (10.2Gbps).

The only concern may be lag, in that some of the screens will display the video slightly faster or slower than others, but we're talking milliseconds here, so it shouldn't be a huge problem.

As for TVs, I see most 19" TVs are 720p, not 1080p, and so if the source (eg. Blu-ray player) output is 1080p, then you have to make sure the 720p TVs can accept this type of input (1080i or 1080p) and downconvert. Otherwise, you'll have to output 720p, which may not take full advantage of the resolution of the 40".

On the Amazon review, somebody mentioned some issues with Samsung TVs that may also be true of others, in that many embed control signals in the HDMI, allowing you to control multiple devices that are connected via HDMI (for example, you can use your TV remote to control your Blu-ray player if they're connected via HDMI). Samsung calls this feature "Anynet+", I think Panasonic and Sony all have this as well, but call it something else (it's all part of the HDMI-CEC standard). This could mean that if you change the input source on one TV, it changes for all the connected TVs with the same brand. But this may not be a bad thing though, if you want the multiple displays to display the same thing all the time.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

Thanks. All that's needed now is the HDMI cables which as you suggested should be 1.3 Cat2 at least. I did my part and made something today off the info.

Is there a way to be able to watch different channels on each set w/out extra cable boxes? Some other connector/splitter etc...? The guy I helped w/this mentioned he saw it some place, though I haven't nor heard of it being able to do this.
      SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

The only way that I know of is att advanced TV. They have a set top dvr that you can watch 4 different programs or record 3 and watch 1. Which on the sat top dvr you can record 1 and watch a different program. Directv is coming out with a HD dvr that can record 4 different programs. On the HDMI spitter the only thing that I see, but may not be a problem is that Amazon is not listed as 3D compatible. But the bandwith should be able to support 3D.
        Last edited by doctorhardware; 10 Jun 2010, 01:08 AM.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
          Is there a way to be able to watch different channels on each set w/out extra cable boxes? Some other connector/splitter etc...? The guy I helped w/this mentioned he saw it some place, though I haven't nor heard of it being able to do this.
          I think that would depend on the cable box really, so the cable company may have some ideas in regards to this.
          Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...