X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thetron
    • Jul 2002

Download movie, can't playback

hi

i've just download a latest release movie from Grokster which should be left unamed, and it won't play back

i've download the latest codec of DivX, tryed to play it back with Divx player and WMP7

what could be the problem be?

The error message for WMP7 is
    No combination of filters could be found to render the stream. (Error=80040218)
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Open the file in Virtualdub and post its File Information here. As a warning, there is the likelihood of it being a fake video file.

Comment

• Ozymandias
      • Feb 2002

Hello,

This error code means the index of the file is missing.
      You can rebuilt the index with DivFix.

Ozymandias

Comment

• thetron
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ozymandias
        Hello,

This error code means the index of the file is missing.
        You can rebuilt the index with DivFix.

Ozymandias
        yes it was

and it was some sick joke users of The Fastrack p2p network are playing,

It takes me a 2 hour to rebuild it with Virtual Dub to find out it was a Looping Movie Trailer of Jenifer Lopez's new movie

Comment

• muzikul
          • Feb 2002

whiny babies

And there you have a great example of the MPAA trying to frustrate P2P users until they quit file-sharing. I'm sorry you had to experience this, but I'm assuming that won't stop you from downloading more movies. The RIAA is doing the same thing, it's just not as severe since music files are so much smaller.
          WARNING: RANT -- To the big companies with all the money: I'm sorry your profit margins are "suffering" these days. But really, give it up because you can't win this one. I won't quit sharing movies because everyone makes their money and plenty of it. Music is a different story since the RIAA screws its musicians up down and sideways... so maybe I won't share as much of that because I care about the artists. At least, the ones who aren't compensated like they should be. -- END RANT
          Ok, I feel better now.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Here's a funny one I realised:

Anime fansubbers are forced to stop their project once the series they are doing is licensed. This essentially forces all servers to stop serving the episodes of the said series too. These companies (whom I will not name) would take quite some time to translate the series, making the fans of the show worse than restless about not having their show. To top it off, the companies release the DVDs (finally) with a measly 3-4 episodes per disc, often 3 only, and at a premium price. Buying all the DVDs for one series can cost serious amount of money and not everyone is loaded with cash.

Recently (in Australia anyway), there have been a barrage of anime DVDs from asian companies. Never mind the occasional bad english. They release the series faster (even when the concerned series is still being subbed). The price they set is much lower and they can pack up tp 9-10 episodes per disc! Even better, these discs are not region-protected, enabling me to conveniently play them on my PS2. Now I know where my money is going the next time I'm buying DVDs.

My point here is simply, these US companies (who are no doubt in favour of whatever the MPAA is doing) are definitely hurting from losing some of their profit, and to think that this is a legal competition. They can't do a thing about it except lower their prices and drive down their profit margin nevertheless.

Comment

Working...