X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pauli
    • Jul 2002

Video Card with quality TV-out

I'm looking for a cheap video card with quality tv-out

I am planning to setup my spare pc as a permanent DivX player. The pc is ok (Celeron 900) but the video card does not have tv out.

I have been using my main PC to play divx stuff on my tv, it has an ok 3D card (GeForce MX-400) but I find that the picture on the tv is a little fuzzy. I don't want to use this because I still want to play games on my main pc.

Does anyone know of a card that will suit my purpose?

A few other questions:

My TV is widescreen (16:9), are there any cards that send a 16:9 signal?
    Is there any difference in the signal between S-Video and RCA? Which is better?
  • muzikul
    • Feb 2002

In my opinion, the 3DFX Voodoo 3500TV is a good, cheap card that will do what you want. 3DFX was bought out by, ATI I believe, a year or so ago and so the card is not made anymore. However, you can usually get it on eBay for $30-$40. A friend of mine used it to connect his PC to his TV, and it looked great. My favorite thing about the card is that it has a 10 ft. or so snake with a pod at the end that has both RCA AV ins and outs. I'm going to be getting one in the next few months to play DIVX movies on my TV. If you end up going that route, let me know what you think.

Comment

• D!D!
      • Jul 2002

Actually, it was Nvidia that bought 3dfx, and that would have been more like 2 or 3 years ago by now.

Because of this, you might wanna check driver availability in advance of buying a video card that was designed by 3dfx. This is even more important if you're running on Windows XP, since this OS hit stores long after 3dfx stopped making original drivers for their video cards.

You might wanna check http://www.voodoofiles.com for this, I was able to find decent Windows XP drivers for my 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 AGP video card there as well.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

I've heard reports that ATI cards' TV-Out is significantly better than any of nVidia's offering. I've not had a chance to test out the TV-Out of my Radeon, but judging from the better image quality on my monitor compared to that of my old Geforce 2, I'm pretty sure the claim is true. This is in respect to 2D, not 3D.

Comment

Working...