X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lfcrule1972
    Liverpool 'til I die......
    • Nov 2003

Originally Posted by kevdriver
    Drf, Why don't you just offer them a chance to sit in on a session of you working on the computer or helping out on this site. This is where you spend most of your time............ RIGHT.......... !!! . Once they see where your computer time is spent, they won't be so paranoid about all the time you do spend on the computer. Just a suggestion................
    You sure about that kev ? Degenerates like you might scare the c#ap out of em !!!

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
    But then there's MSN conversations and stuff... I don't want them getting into my personal life. But true I do keep this forum open as much as I can
    Like I said are you trying to get yourself a life ban Dan ?
    "There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing......"

"I Love those moments - I like to wave at them as they pass by...."

ImgBurn Support Forum

Stop !! Before you post read this !

cynthia is Queen of the smilies !

Comment

• katzdvd
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Feb 2006

vw, toomanycats, jamo, ed, all you guys - All excellent posts! This is a very helpful thread, & I am having my 13 yr. old follow it, so he can get an idea that it is not just me that is "raining on his parade", but that all parents are "this way" (overprotective?)

BTW, on the original theme/the original question...Sad to say, but I am not sure that the monitor software is really such a good idea for a tech savvy teen anyway...it is relatively easy to find the "hacks" to get around/modify virtually all of this type of software out there, & it is known that the kids in school routinely trade this info.

From a teens' perspective, it seems like it is very restrictive;
      I did not like all the rules I had at your age either
      Nor did I, but they kept me out of certain trouble at times!
      We make too many rules, we take away all the fun, we make you do chores and waste your weekends, we love our kids, we are parents
      And now that I am a parent, I understand why...it's not about rules/being mean, cramping your style...it's about love...

P.S. - Did you talk to your parents yet?
      @ yes, we would miss your presence on here

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

As long as I have school computers I am unstoppable... it's even blocked here but I have my ways

And I do go on chatrooms and stuff, that's why I don't want my parents standing right there

I mean, it's not anything bad, I only go on "good" chatrooms but my mom doesn't get that not everyone you talk to online that you don't know in real life isn't a sex offender or otherwise.

it is relatively easy to find the "hacks" to get around/modify virtually all of this type of software out there, & it is known that the kids in school routinely trade this info.
        Hey who told you I made half that stuff?

But on all seriousness, I just wanted a software program because that way I could have a split second notice when my parents were gonna check what I am doing, and minimize my IRC window(s).
        Last edited by drfsupercenter; 3 Oct 2006, 09:35 PM.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• lfcrule1972
          Liverpool 'til I die......
          • Nov 2003

Ah so you wanted to carry on regardless but actually get away with it now !!
          "There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing......"

"I Love those moments - I like to wave at them as they pass by...."

ImgBurn Support Forum

Stop !! Before you post read this !

cynthia is Queen of the smilies !

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

I could have a split second notice when my parents were gonna check what I am doing, and minimize my IRC window(s).
            software won't give you a split second, you won't know when you're being watched! a tip off sorta defeats the purpose
            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• soup
              Just Trying To Help
              • Nov 2005

Maybe ask anonymez where his location is & you can join him in hiding when you completely lose your parent's trust (LOL).

Comment

• anonymez
                Super Moderator
                • Mar 2004

much too dangerous
                "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• toomanycats
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Apr 2005

DFS, your broadcasting to the whole world that your not honest. Integrity starts when your young. Read the posts here. This whole conversation should be taking place with your parents. You are not a 6 year old. You are old enough to know what is right and what is wrong. It's time to grow up.

Comment

• kevdriver
                    Platinum Member
                    Platinum Member
                    • May 2005

Originally Posted by toomanycats
                    DFS, your broadcasting to the whole world that your not honest. Integrity starts when your young. Read the posts here. This whole conversation should be taking place with your parents. You are not a 6 year old. You are old enough to know what is right and what is wrong. It's time to grow up.

Toomanycats, Don't know about Drf, but you've certainly opened my eyes.......................

Quote:lfc
                    Originally Posted by kevdriver
                    Drf, Why don't you just offer them a chance to sit in on a session of you working on the computer or helping out on this site. This is where you spend most of your time............ RIGHT.......... !!! . Once they see where your computer time is spent, they won't be so paranoid about all the time you do spend on the computer. Just a suggestion................

You sure about that kev ? Degenerates like you might scare the c#ap out of em !!!

who me?
                    Oils well thats ends well.

Comment

• toomanycats
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Apr 2005

Growing up is always good, just don't grow old.

Comment

• Kabuchan
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • Apr 2006

Well, drf - you have yourself in a pickle! I know exactly where you are at as both the kid and the parent.

I lost my parents' trust at around 13, was disowned at 18, and finally allowed back into the family at 23. Took another 10 years to get back to where I should be. Had the internet been around when I was your age, I probably would not be here right now.

I now have a 10 yr old son who likes to go online. I won't let him chat or play those battle games with other people. I do this for his safety because although I trust him, I trust no one else!

Had you have kept to the subject of your original post, you could have shown your parents this thread, they would have seen what you do here. Especially with all the people here who could have spoken for you. Unfortunately, you mentioned that you just wanted to get past the monitoring system, so this thread will only hurt your position.

Now you know why your parents took the computer away.
                        That was Zen, this is Tao

My Gallery

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                          NOT an online superstore
                          • Oct 2005

Well

It had nothing to do with me being on IRC. They don't even know what it is. They just don't like chatrooms. And true while some people can be preditors, I am picky about who I talk to, and make sure they really are who they are.
                          However my mom still doesn't trust them... but I assume the fact I know how old they are, where they live, and even some of their names isn't enough?

And it's not that I am entirely dishonest, but my parents live in last century if you ask me. Ever since some little girl got hurt from talking on AIM, they immediately think that instant messinging is bad. I just don't want to try and change their viewpoint.

And I don't do anything "bad" on the computer. That's why I brought up the history. The real reason they don't trust me was because I tried to mail some DVDs to somebody I met over IRC. And since I couldn't let her know about IRC, I lied about its contents.

The only reason they took the computer away was because it was the only thing that they thought would make a difference, as I am on the computer more than anything else. But it wasn't even a computer-related offense.
                          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                          Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• katzdvd
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Feb 2006

And true while some people can be preditors, I am picky about who I talk to, and make sure they really are who they are.
                            Well, unless it friends from school, relatives, etc., how can you EVER know for sure? You can't

The real reason they don't trust me was because I tried to mail some DVDs to somebody I met over IRC
                            I know what you are saying; you just were trying to be a nice guy, & got caught doing it, & since your parents don't know the whole story, they are just being cautious.
                            Unfortunately, you mentioned that you just wanted to get past the monitoring system, so this thread will only hurt your position.
                            True Kabuchan - course he can always edit his posts

but my parents live in last century if you ask me.
                            All parents live in the last century - its' the last time there were any Values left, to speak of. We're just trying to hold on to something that is slowing fading away.
                            Trust me drf, in 15 years, you will be having this same exact conversation with your kids.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                              NOT an online superstore
                              • Oct 2005

But how am I supposed to hide all your guys' dirty posts here

Well, unless it friends from school, relatives, etc., how can you EVER know for sure? You can't
                              Yes but you can still trust them. It's one thing to not know someone's name or whatever, but to know lots about them is different I think. I don't need to get into detail, but I have even listened in on voice chats among one of the smaller chatrooms I was in. You can't fake Skype calls
                              CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                              Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• katzdvd
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • Feb 2006

methinks this thread is not going drf's way

Comment