X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by petsbug
    I think its just a matter of getting used to its functions, where things are as always hard to become disconnected to what you're in love with and got used to. Its stable for me not a single freeze or crash since I got it.
    Upgrading an existing machine seems to be the source of most frustration.
    I think the migration is much easier if you buy a machine with it preinstalled
    and add it to a running network. Even if the "network" is only one other
    machine with a router. Then if the apps you need aren't compatible you
    can still run 'em on the XP machine until Vista versions of the apps come out.

I agree on the stability. As long as you don't disable the wrong service you
    should be okay. I think they created a lot of unnecessary hostility when
    they shuffled the settings around in Control Panel. Nobody enjoys hunting
    for hidden check boxes when stuff is broken.

Comment

• doctorhardware
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2006

The main problem is that small businesses can't afford to purchase new software in order to use Vista. If you are a large corporation then that is no problem. Had a small business owner purchase a top of the line HP and when he found out that none of his business apps would run he returned the computer and all services that he had purchased that day. This happened maybe 2 months ago. He was not very happy.
      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• photo_angel2004
        Queen of Digital Video
        Queen of Digital Video
        • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by doctorhardware
        The main problem is that small businesses can't afford to purchase new software in order to use Vista. If you are a large corporation then that is no problem. Had a small business owner purchase a top of the line HP and when he found out that none of his business apps would run he returned the computer and all services that he had purchased that day. This happened maybe 2 months ago. He was not very happy.
        Your not kidding there some companies are still using windows 98 LOL

The company I work for was bought out about 2 years ago by a bigger company and they finally upgraded to windows XP about a month befor I started working there. With that in mind I am thinking the thought of them upgrading to Vista aint gunna happen. LOL

The also use the microsoft office 2000 version LOL (which kinda through me off as I am used to the 2002 and 2003 versions LOL )

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• anonymez
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2004

Office 2007 Ultimate is an improvement. Australian university students (me) got it at a ridiculously low price, $75 ($USD 60)-- something like a 95% discount. http://www.itsnotcheating.com.au

Maybe they realized the University already supplies us with Office in their workstations as well as a discounted version, or maybe that many students use OpenOffice.
          "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• photo_angel2004
            Queen of Digital Video
            Queen of Digital Video
            • Jan 2004

@anonymez,

I am suprized to see that the univerity students have to buy it at all.

I have a friend back in school again and she got the office 2003 pro for free with her tuition to school.

I have not seen that 2007 version yet not even at best buy. I guess we are a bit behind here. LOL

The $75.00 is still a good deal though concidering how much that program costs.

When I used to work for Spalding (which I wish I still work there ) any ways they had contract agreements with Mocrosoft for all Employees that use the office programs to be able to purchase 1 copy for $17.00 shipped. Of course I jumped on that but you would be real surprized at how many employees did not take them up on that offer. At that time it sold for $499.99 in the stores.

I would love to check out the 2007 version just to see the changes in it.

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

I would love to check out the 2007 version just to see the changes in it
              MS offers a trial version I think. Just some nice UI improvements as far as I'm concerned:

"What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                Queen of Digital Video
                Queen of Digital Video
                • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by anonymez
                MS offers a trial version I think. Just some nice UI improvements as far as I'm concerned:

Ya those trail versions yet ya hooked and then you have to buy. LOL

I guess for me for now the office suite pro 2003 will have to do.
                If they ever upgrade at work to the new one I will most likely upgrade it. But for now I am already upgraded at home from what they use at work. LOL

Comment

• petsbug
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Jan 2005

I am using the MS office 2007 interprise since NOV. when first came out for business. Don't ask me how I got it and how much though.
                  An absolute beauty, very easy to use though what annoys me was the old Office function of "right click >delete" this one haven't got it you have to use the "go back" function. So if you are pasting something and reposition 3 times you have to go back three times that's the crap part. I still prefer it than the Office 2003 prof'l I used to have.
                  -----------------------------------------
                  DT: Burners: BenQ DVD CD DW1670 and 2 Philips DVD+- RW DVD 8701
                  LT: Vista Premuim, HP Pavillion 9288ea

Comment

• MilesAhead
                    Eclectician
                    • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by doctorhardware
                    The main problem is that small businesses can't afford to purchase new software in order to use Vista.

That's not uncommon. I knew a guy who had a convenience store and
                    he was going to stay with his 286 machine until it died!!! I guess an
                    individual programmer wrote his business management software and
                    the guy never wrote something for 386 and higher processors!!!

Another big culprit is unrealistic "minimum system configuration" information.
                    Customers are rightly pissed when they can't even install the OS on a machine
                    that exceeds the minimum system specs. They should tell you what you
                    need to usefully run the thing.

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

new OS's for newer hardware only, 98 was an exception as it ran just as fast as 95, ME was a mistake

what made xp stable is what made it slow

same goes for vista, people are in love with "bells and whistles", that comes with a price

Comment

• doctorhardware
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Dec 2006

Amen Chewy!!!
                        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                          Eclectician
                          • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Chewy
                          new OS's for newer hardware only

If the PC doesn't come with the OS I want already running
                          I don't want to buy it. I just wanna' push the button and
                          watch everything come up unbroken. It's bad enough you
                          have to tweak a zillion stupid settings and shut off kitchen
                          sink services. They should configure 'em minimally and then
                          have a big script for a desktop icon that says OEM Trash

If you really can't live without the OEM Trash, just double-click!!

Comment

• petsbug
                            Gold Member
                            Gold Member
                            • Jan 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
                            new OS's for newer hardware only,
                            It surely holds true with Vista due to compatibility issues.
                            And besides its a matter of "Match" ... speed for speed.
                            -----------------------------------------
                            DT: Burners: BenQ DVD CD DW1670 and 2 Philips DVD+- RW DVD 8701
                            LT: Vista Premuim, HP Pavillion 9288ea

Comment

• classfour
                              • Dec 2006

Reverted

I really tried to give Vista a chance (Dell E521, upgraded with 80/160GB SATA HDDs, Plextor 712SA [in hand], Sony Optiarc 18X, 2GB RAM): Finally gave up - after speeding the thing to XP speeds (removed crapware) when I simply could not get DVD Rebuilder to function in a Vista environment.

I just couldn't wait for jdobbs to create DVDRB ver 1.60 Vista!!!

Some proggys you just gotta have.

I may re-install later if compatibility comes along, just not now.

XP Pro rules! (Win 2K would, except for the gaming thing)

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                                NOT an online superstore
                                • Oct 2005

When I used to work for Spalding (which I wish I still work there ) any ways they had contract agreements with Mocrosoft for all Employees that use the office programs to be able to purchase 1 copy for $17.00 shipped. Of course I jumped on that but you would be real surprized at how many employees did not take them up on that offer. At that time it sold for $499.99 in the stores.
                                My dad's office has something similar, for $12 I think. Not sure what version it is, I should ask him to get me one!

I have Office 2000, but TBH I hate anything past that, I like the old look to it.
                                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                                Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                                My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...