20 years? For this? Yet O.J. and Robert Blake are free?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tigerman8u
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Aug 2003

As far as oj and mj go I think they're guilty as hell. It's all about the money. Both have/had the money to get the proper lawyers to get out of it. Look at mj. He still has custody of his kids. Us poorer ppl would of had them taken from us or wouldn't of had them in the 1st place.

@blutach, how are the black shirts doing in Australia?

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

To blutach

You - "My info and comment in my second post was not directed towards columbo, but in response to you setarip.
      No, you said nothing about racism. That's why it was implied."

Me - "I have IMPLIED nothing racist.
      You have apparently INFERRED that something in my post is racist.
      Please advise, what you interpreted as being racist in my post."

Still awaiting the courtesy of your response...

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

common guys race had nothing to do with this thread...i don't want this thread to go down that path and end up closed by admin.

i suppose setarip's request for an explanation is valid, as i would like to know myself.
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

Re: To columbo999

Originally posted by setarip
          "yet O.J. and robert blake are free?"

Chances are they wouldn't be, had they been tried in Indonesia, rather than L.A.
          I'm not taking sides but I see nowhere in this post anything to suggest racism.
          What I get from this post is if they were tried in Indonesia they would have been found guilty with the evidence that was presented.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

you could bring in a team of the most brilliant minds on the planet, they will unequivocaly conclude that there is no racial implication.

what i got out of it was, that setarip was merely pointing out that the indonesian government is completely different from ours.

and i don't know yet about michael jackson....
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• jm1647
              An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
              • Apr 2005

getting back to the crane guy....what a stunt....kill your girlfriend, go on a crane for 56 hours (to look crazy) and then let the cops take you down. If he wanted to kill himself, he should used what he used to kill his girlfriend, if he stabbed or shot her.

It don't matter what color the guy was, white, black, brown, yellow...he coulda been purple with pink stripes as far as I'm concerned. The volts in that stun gun were high....they shoulda turned up the amps and saved the state some money. Were there high tension wires and an extension cord nearby?

About Michael Jackson..hmmm..how many young kids could describe or identify your penis?

As I recall, due to the Infantago(sp) it is supposedly spotted. I know if I ever saw a spotted penis I wouldn't forget it. And if it was seen due to undressing in front of them , he shouln't have done that either. They ain't his kids.

OJ and RB got off due to the American Justice system, a verdict by ordinary people like us.

MJ spent a lot of money not to go to trial the first time.

Comment

• blutach
                Not a god of digital video
                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by tigerman8u
                @blutach, how are the black shirts doing in Australia?
                Not sure what you mean tigerman.

Regards
                Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• blutach
                  • Oct 2004

I saw on the news last night, travellers to Indonesia, with their bags wrapped in plastic with some sort of special identification on them.

I wonder if it would matter much if you felt your bag had been tampered with and went over to a customs official (anywhere) asking for it to be opened resulting in them finding illicit substances - possibly planted by baggage handlers.

I can tell you that my fiancee is scared to travel to Indonesia, and that is very sad. She said that she would not pack a thing except her carry on luggage, and that she would buy everything she needs there and leave it all there. This is not the way we are supposed to go to see new lands and cultures. Many people here are scared that they can be innocent victims.

In any event, we're off to Europe for our honeymoon next year

Regards
                  Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                  [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

To blutach

Still awaiting the courtesy of your response...

Comment

• admin
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2001

I still think a prisoner exchange program could work. Conditions in Australian jails are far nicer, but I suspect many Indonesian prisoners would still prefer to go to an Indonesian jail - at least they would be able to see family once in a while, and not be a minority in a hostile environment. I don't know, it probably won't be so easy to implement in practice (like what to do with parole/appeals), but this kind of thing is being done all the time without a formal treaty, simply because countries don't want to ruin relations with each other. I'm sure Corby only got 20 years instead of a longer sentence because she is not Indonesian, and I bet she will be given special privileges in jail as well. I wouldn't even rule out that the Indonesians let her serve her sentence here in Australia without any specific demands from the Australian government. In other words, she will be given special treatment whatever the circumstance, and being a foreigner, she does have special rights already, like access to the embassy, legal support from the country of origin and all that.

And all this talk of an unusually long sentence, but in Australia, you could easily get 10 to 20 years for drug trafficking. There was also this case of Lebanese youth and gang rapes of white women, and the 20 year old gang leader being sentenced to 55 years with 40 years no parole period. And there is also mandatory sentencing of Aborigines, I think a kid was sentenced to 5 years for stealing some pens or something. Then there are refugees and illegal immigrants in detention centers that have been there for 5 or more years without any action being taken on their behalf (either deported or allowed to stay), including many children born in the centers and that have never lived in a free environment. Harsh sentences should not be something new for Australians.

As for luggage protection, don't custom weigh bags at the check in, so if an extra 4.1 KG is added in transit, shouldn't someone know about it? The problem is that in many countries (eg. the US), if your luggage is locked or wrapped, they have the right to break the lock and wrapping and examine the contents anyway. There are special locks you can buy that US customs will have a master key for, but I'm not sure if that works in other countries as well. There are also special tags that you can put on the luggage, with special numbers you can record down and these it will be easy to see if these tags have been tampered with or not. Then again, smugglers could just install a broken tag and then when they are caught, say that someone must have planted it. But what I don't get is that if someone was able to plant drugs in a bag, couldn't they have planted a bomb instead? Surely there must be systems in place to prevent this sort of thing, so I'm not sure Corby's explanations is all that plausible. And if it is plausible, then it's a brand new worry for air travel.
                      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• jm1647
                        An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                        • Apr 2005

Travel in the states, domestic and leaving the states is nuts since 911. Everything gets xrayed even carryon. Women having to take off bras with underwire in 'em, ya gotta take off your shoes, they do strip searches, better make sure your drawers are clean and your socks don't have holes

Short trips, carry on luggage is the best way to go or as blutach suggested buy what ya need when ya get there. And have a yard sale or donate it to a charity before ya leave

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

To admin

"I still think a prisoner exchange program could work. Conditions in Australian jails are far nicer, but I suspect many Indonesian prisoners would still prefer to go to an Indonesian jail - at least they would be able to see family once in a while, and not be a minority in a hostile environment."

You appear to be operating strictly on a "nice guy" emotional level. While that's extremely admirable on a human/humane level, the discussion is about people found guilty of commiting felony crimes.

So I would ask you again, what, if any, legal logic would apply to such an idea? Why should one not be imprisoned in the sovereignty where the crime was commited and the sentence imposed? Or is it merely a concern about "Midnight Express"-like conditions being applied to a fellow countryman/woman?

As I've requested of your countryman, who unjustly accused me of racism in this thread and has thusfar not been courteous enough (despite my requests) to state WHY he made such an unsubstantiable accusation, I would request that you also be courteous enough to respond.

After all, a dialogue is not comprised of independent monologues...

**Edit** Changed "as" to "an unsubstantiable.."
                          Last edited by setarip; 29 May 2005, 04:15 PM.

Comment

• blutach
                            • Oct 2004

@admin - Re bombs: Isn't luggage x-rayed for that sort of thing, much akin to when you walk through the check in?

Regards
                            Les

Comment

• setarip
                              Retired
                              • Dec 2001

It apparently doesn't pay to try to deal civilly and intelligently with "blutach".

I guess "blutach" prefers to play transparent infantile games, rather than be adult and be accountable for his/her words.

Perhaps next will be "hide and seek".

Or, possibly a convenient "I turned back on the 'Ignore' feature, right after I accused setarip of being a racist, heh heh"?

Really pathetic and disgraceful and laughable...

Comment

• admin
                                Administrator
                                • Nov 2001

I don't know what you (setarip) are on about blutach, and vice versa, and I am all that interested in finding out to be honest.

I was just thinking that criminals have rights too - I guess I'm one of those old fashioned people that thinks prison should be a place for rehabilitation, not punishment. But more importantly, I don't think the Indonesians want to hold Corby in their prison for fear that if something happened to such a high profile person, they would be held responsible for it. So for them, the alternative could be a pardon (assuming she admits she is guilty), and I think that's a far worse alternative than serving the sentence in Australia.

I think Corby's claim was that the drugs were planted in there by baggage handlers during the baggage transfer from to the plane, after they were x-rayed at check in. I was just thinking that this shouldn't be possible under current security protocols, but if it was possible as she claims, then someone could have planted a bomb just as well.

For those who want to know more, there's a good flash presentation of the whole thing, with more explanation of what could have happened, here:

And just to say that me and blutach are considered minorities probably when it comes to our views on this issue. Everyone seems to be convinced she is innoncent, and the biased media reporting isn't helping.
                                Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...