How to convert Widescreen DVD to fullscreen?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ashy
    • Nov 2003

Are you saying you wish to combine the re-encoded movie back with the original files on the DVD and replace the 16:9 version.

If so you will first need to create the VOBS, IFO's and BUPs for your new movie as if you were going to burn it to a DVD.
    You will then need a program called IFOupdate.

Remove the original main movie VOBS from the VIDEO_TS folder then replace with your new VOBS.
    Use IFOupdate to update the original IFO with the new IFO.
    You can find a guides how to use it on google.

Comment

• Mike89
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • May 2005

I just read this thread and got a headache.

I am now posting almost 2 years after the last post here. So with all the new software out since then, has anyone figured out how to convert widescreen DVD movies to fullscreen easier than what's been posted so far?

I am interested in doing this since I still have a fullscreen TV and have some widescreen DVD's I'd like to convert.
      I7 920 @ 3.5 gig (ThermalRight U120E 1366 RT Heatsink), Asus P6T, 3x1024 Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 280, NEC 90GX2, X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, Lite-on IHAS4228 SATA DVD R/W, Pioneer DVR-216D SATA DVD R/W, LG GH22NS30 SATA DVD R/W, 2 WD 640 gig (32 meg cache) SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig SATA External HDD (eSata), Winfast USB2 TV Tuner, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows XP Pro

Comment

• ed klein
        Banned
        • Mar 2004

I have approximately 6 different ways I convert from 16:9 wide screen to 4:3 full screen when you have only a full screen TV.
        The easiest is to use the first level of zoom on you remote, comes very close to looking like full screen, north and south black borders have been removed.

This is the route I use most of the time.

DVD Decrypter to rip AND create the (IFO edit CHAPTER FILE)
        DGI Index (new DVD2AVI) to create the d2v video file and AC-3 audio file and wave audio file
        TMPGEnc Plus input d2v audio file and wave file, output m2v video file and mp2 audio file
        Vob Edit to create the AC-3 audio file and subtitle file
        Ifo Edit as the authoring tool input the m2v video file, AC-3 audio file, subtitle file, chapter file
        Burn the output VIDEO_TS folder or convert to an ISO image and burn.

Comment

• Mike89
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • May 2005

Whoa dude. You just said a mouthful! Dunno if I can even follow that.

I don't like the results of the zoom thing. I have heard that before and have tried it many times. It still zooms way too close, the characters head taking up the whole screen. Zoom is kind of weird depending on the DVD. Sometimes I have seen the zoom do pretty good with a 2.35 movie, zooming it to approx 16x9. But zooming 16x9 results in way too of a close up.

Sure would be nice for someone to come up with a single program solution for anyone who wanted to convert widescreen to fullscreen.

How have your results been doing this?
          I7 920 @ 3.5 gig (ThermalRight U120E 1366 RT Heatsink), Asus P6T, 3x1024 Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 280, NEC 90GX2, X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Pro, Lite-on IHAS4228 SATA DVD R/W, Pioneer DVR-216D SATA DVD R/W, LG GH22NS30 SATA DVD R/W, 2 WD 640 gig (32 meg cache) SATA HDDs, WD 750 gig SATA External HDD (eSata), Winfast USB2 TV Tuner, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Corsair TX750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows XP Pro

Comment

• drfsupercenter
            NOT an online superstore
            • Oct 2005

Just curious, what happened to setarip - it says "retired"? Is that the same as being banned? I noticed his rep was way in the red... is that why?
            CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
            Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
            My DVD Collection

Comment

• cornholio7
              Unavailable
              • Jun 2005

what does that have to do with this post drfsupercenter?

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                NOT an online superstore
                • Oct 2005

Absolutely nothing. Just wondering.
                CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
                My DVD Collection

Comment

• blutach
                  Not a god of digital video
                  • Oct 2004

Let's try to stay on topic please.

Regards
                  Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                  [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• benbryant
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Aug 2005

With the purpose of testing, here is what I am going to do this weekend to convert widescreen DVD to the standard one:

Since HCGUI 0.15a is a wonderful MPEG encoder and it can output either 4:3 or 16:9. First I will decrypt the widescreen movie to HDD with DVD Decrypter. Next, use DGIndex to frameserve the movie to HCGUI 0.15a with the Aspect Ratio to be 4:3. Finally, use TMPGEnc DVD Author to author HC encoded mpeg-2 with AC-3 audio. Since changing from widescreen to standard, I expect to lose parts of the sides of the screen though. I hope that HC encoder will provide an excellent result for this task

Rehards

Comment

• mikeylikess99
                      Gold Member
                      Gold Member
                      • Sep 2003

wide screen to full screen

Hi im reading the ideas on onverting to F.S via vobs , is there a way to do this process in avi..tyvm in advance

Comment

• Mike89
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • May 2005

To convert widescreen movies to fullscreen, use IFOEdit. Very simple to use. Open each .ifo and look for the lines which show the aspect ratio. Change the right hand side to make sure the fullscreen box is checked and the 16x9 box is unchecked. Do this for all entries. Do not change any entries on the left hand side of the box.

Process as you normally would and you have your fullscreen. Keep in mind this process will only convert 16x9 or 1:85/1 to fullscreen. If the movie is 2:35/1 or 2:40/1, this process will only convert it to 16x9. That's still better than nothing being it removes about half of the giant black bars that take up the screen for the super widescreen formats (2:35/1, 2:40/1).

Comment

• mikeylikess99
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • Sep 2003

avi

hi mike..i need to know howto convert for avi..i unddrstand how to for vobs..thanks..

Comment

• photo_angel2004
                            Queen of Digital Video
                            Queen of Digital Video
                            • Jan 2004

Here is a guide from .avi to DVD

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• mikeylikess99
                              Gold Member
                              Gold Member
                              • Sep 2003

avi

ok..so i guess i just cant change the screen position from wide screen to full screen with out going thro all those steps. i was hoping there would be something smiliar to dr.divx were i could just adjust a setting or two, w/o reverting back to dvd...?

Comment

• mikeylikess99
                                Gold Member
                                Gold Member
                                • Sep 2003

avi fullscreen

ok..so is it possible to convert an avi to fullscreen...keeping it in avi..?..tyvm in advance.

Comment

Working...