X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chizzmo
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Nov 2005

Hello everyone. This thread is very helpful. great job Benbryant on all your hard work. I am a first time user and I was able to pull this off without a hitch first time out. I do however have a couple questions I'd like to know more just for my own knowledge.

#1- The file that I converted was 698MB as an .AVI file. To go thru this whole process took my computer 11+ hours to complete. I'm wondering if this is normal and if this is maybe a larger than normal file to be converting over?

#2- I'm also wondering (just as Katana above) if I had two files that I wanted to join into one before the burn. When and how would I exactly do that?

Thanks for any replys I see this thread hasnt been used in a bit but I hope someone will respond. all the best.............
    Chizzmo

Cheers

Comment

• dannyreeves
      • Jul 2006

Hello everyone. I am new to this but I have some avi files on my computer. I want to create a DVD to view these on a regular DVD player. I was checking out this guide and downloaded Avi2dvd but need to know what I should do to get all the episodes on the same DVD. How does having multiple episodes change the steps involved?

Thanks for the help
      Last edited by blutach; 22 Dec 2006, 05:54 PM.

Comment

• benbryant
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Aug 2005

@dannyreeves

Put avi, ogm, mkv, or wmv file(s) and subtitles in a simple path such as D:\Movie. Let’s say your first half of a movie is your CD1 and your second half is your CD2

* If you have a movie with 2 parts, for example, rename them like this: Test CD1.avi and Test CD2.avi
        * For subtitles, do the same like this: Test English CD1.srt, Test English CD2.srt, Test French CD1.srt, Test French CD2.srt

The CD1, CD2, CD3 etc…are important for Avi2DVD to accept and arrange your files correctly. Now let’s load Avi2DVD to start the guide
        As you can see, the beginning of the guide already explained how to encode more than 1 file with Avi2DVD. After completing the task, you can burn DL DVD or use DVD Shrink to compress to fit SL DVD

Regards

Comment

• photo_angel2004
          Queen of Digital Video
          Queen of Digital Video
          • Jan 2004

I gave this program a try today for the first time and I have to say the guide was easy to follow and the conversion from avi to dvd was pretty simple this way. It took a very long time but the out come was pretty good.

The first burn didnt play very well so I opened up the Video_Ts folder and ran the files through Fixvts and all was well.

nice guide now I have found 2 ways to convert avi to dvd.

Thanks.

And thank you to soup for pointing this thread out.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• r0lZ
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Mar 2004

I'm not sure AVI2DVD is so good! I have had plenty of problems after I installed it. Most programs were not able to open the video or audio any more. IfoEdit's playback, for example, didn't work any more. I've found that AVI2DVD installs a bunch of unstable codecs on your system, including ffdshow. The problem was undoubtedly caused by those codecs, not by AVI2DVD itself, but IMO, you should never install AVI2DVD, at least until it adds an option in the installer to skip the installation of the codecs.

Uninstalling AVI2DVD has solved all problems.
            r0lZ
            PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
            Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• photo_angel2004
              Queen of Digital Video
              Queen of Digital Video
              • Jan 2004

Originally Posted by r0lZ
              I'm not sure AVI2DVD is so good! I have had plenty of problems after I installed it. Most programs were not able to open the video or audio any more. IfoEdit's playback, for example, didn't work any more. I've found that AVI2DVD installs a bunch of unstable codecs on your system, including ffdshow. The problem was undoubtedly caused by those codecs, not by AVI2DVD itself, but IMO, you should never install AVI2DVD, at least until it adds an option in the installer to skip the installation of the codecs.

Uninstalling AVI2DVD has solved all problems.
              WOW this doesnt sound good.

So far I have found no known problems should I start seeing problems I will uninstall this program.

Is there a way to get rid of some of those codecs that create problems and still have the program work?

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• r0lZ
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Mar 2004

Probably yes, but it's not simple.
                It is also theoretically possible to assign a "merit" level to a codec. If a codec has a merit greater than another one (for the same stream, of course), it will be used unless the application requests explicitly the other one. But I forgot the name of the tool needed to modify the merit levels.
                Anyway, if something doesn't work, the problem is to identify the wrong codec. Most of the time, the app fails, but without an explicit error message.
                r0lZ

Comment

• anonymez
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2004

It is also theoretically possible to assign a "merit" level to a codec. If a codec has a merit greater than another one (for the same stream, of course), it will be used unless the application requests explicitly the other one. But I forgot the name of the tool needed to modify the merit levels
                  nothing theoretical about it, one such tool is radlight filter manager

i looked around avi2dvd's website, doesn't say what it installs. ffdshow is not the cause

Most programs were not able to open the video or audio any more. IfoEdit's playback, for example, didn't work any more
                  what happens exactly?
                  "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• r0lZ
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Mar 2004

IfoEdit outputs a message saying something like "One audio stream cannot be rendered. Continue anyway?".
                    IMO, those problems depend on the codecs originally installed on your system. Everything can work fine with some codecs, but fail with other ones. But, as I said in my previous post, it is usually very difficult to understand why a stream cannot be rendered.
                    Anyway, I strongly believe that Avi2DVD should not install those codecs without the explicit consent of the user.

Side note on ffdshow: IMO, ffdshow is a kind of codec pack bundled in one single file. The idea is good, but currently, it is still very unstable, and I have had several problems with it.
                    For example, its system tray icon is not removed when ffdshow is closed. If you use ffdshow in an AVS script with lot of small AVI segments, it displays a new icon for each segment. Launch your script several times to debug it, and you have thousands of icons in your systray! Windows may even crash!
                    r0lZ

Comment

• anonymez
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2004

Anyway, I strongly believe that Avi2DVD should not install those codecs without the explicit consent of the user.
                      agreed

Side note on ffdshow: IMO, ffdshow is a kind of codec pack bundled in one single file. The idea is good, but currently, it is still very unstable, and I have had several problems with it.
                      it's not a codec pack, in the sense that it doesn't register upwards of 50 unneeded filters, but only 4-- video decoder, raw video decoder, audio decoder, audio processor. the beauty of it is that you can enable/disable decoders as you please, and it's clean uninstall. instead of installing individual decoders for mpeg4 ASP, AVC, flv1, vp6, DV, mjpg, huffyuv, aac, ac3, dts, vorbis, flac etc installing a single app that in most cases is more efficient than other implementations makes more sense

btw it's been stable for quite some time, the odd bug may crop up with weird sources and some post processing filters. are you running an old "official" build on sourceforge.net by any chance?

For example, its system tray icon is not removed when ffdshow is closed
                      only happens here when an app crashes, and is not limited to ffdshow

If you use ffdshow in an AVS script with lot of small AVI segments, it displays a new icon for each segment
                      that's normal, same thing would happen with any filter with a tray icon, eg haali's splitter, divx, etc. the tray icon can be disabled via tray ,dialogs & paths-->tray icon.

and you have thousands of icons in your systray! Windows may even crash!
                      how much ram in your system? with so many instances running, a crash is likely
                      Last edited by anonymez; 23 Jan 2007, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• anonymez
                        Super Moderator
                        • Mar 2004

IfoEdit outputs a message saying something like "One audio stream cannot be rendered. Continue anyway?".
                        if you ever get the urge to install avi2dvd again, and that happens, try rendering a vob with graphedit and post the graph

Comment

• r0lZ
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Mar 2004

I agree that ffdshow's idea is good. I think only that is is still unstable. I'll try the version provided with Avi2DVD...

I don't remember which version of ffdshow I've used, and I have uninstalled it. Maybe it was not the good one. But I'm sure that the icons were still in the systray, even if the app was closed properly. BTW, moving the mouse pointer over the dead icon was sufficient to remove it. But if you don't pay attention to your systray, you can have tons of dead ffdshow icons. The available memory is not the problem. Maybe there is a limit of the number of icons Windows can support, or simply a bug in the systray code. Anyway, I was somewhat surprised by the numerous problems I've has after installing this codec. To be honest, I must say that I'va laso installed other codecs at the same time. Maybe most problems were caused by them...

Since I've had recently an hard disc crash, I've reinstalled windows and my favourite apps. My system is now very clean, and I wonder if I really want to damage it again with too many codecs. I prefer to wait until I really need a codec to install it.

About IfoEdit: since it displays the codecs it uses, it should be possible to identify the culprit, and unreg that codec only. But I have preferred to uninstall Avi2DVD, as it was the latest app I've just installed before the problem. As I said, unstalling it solved the issue. Anyway, I prefer to frameserve to a good encoder from avisynth or virtualdub to convert my AVIs to DVD.
                          r0lZ

Comment

• anonymez
                            Super Moderator
                            • Mar 2004

I think only that is is still unstable. I'll try the version provided with Avi2DVD...
                            may not be a recent build. get it from http://www.x264.nl or at the ffdshow tryouts sourceforge page

Comment

• ginblossom
                              • Sep 2004

Hi im trying to process two AVI files into DVD format and cant get moving past square 1. Can you tell me what this warning means? It appears when loading first avi file
                              see image

At the moment this is my softer option to getting Nero7 so please 4give my lack of patience with your guide if i have missed something simple.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• benbryant
                                Digital Video Master
                                Digital Video Master
                                • Aug 2005

@ginblossom

Please go to the link below to download and install XviD codec. Please let us know if it works for you. Good luck

Regards

Comment

Working...