Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timbo 2410
    • Feb 2009

AVI conversion

ok I'm getting really frustrated and need help. I have quite a few movies that I have converted to Divx without problems at all. But there are a few that defy conversion with mostly sound issues. I have an error where it says I have an AC3 filter missing. I have downloaded all sorts of filters and codecs but without success. I can also play AVI files but then cannot put them to disk ???? what gives ??? I have run avi files through GSPOT to see what I am missing or what I need, it tells me everything is ok but still the problems.
    oh ... I'm running Divx codec 6.8.5 (7) and nero 7 premium
    I know there isn't an easy solution, but all I want to do is convert (any) avi file to divx with good sound (at least 5:1).... any suggestions
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

timbo2410,

i understand that sometimes this stuff is "frustrating" like you said

but creating a new thread with almost the same content as you did here before can be frustrating to all those trying to help but not having the background infos on what has been done and tried before

so for future forum activity it should be in your interest to stick to an already existing thread you created yourself or at least reference to it!

when dealing with ac3 i don not understand why the proposed filter should not do the job - it worked fine for many of us before

next thing is: what do you think you will convert this ac3 file to when you want to "at least" have 5.1???

pls dont tell me you expect an mp3 to be able to provide this amount of channels decently

therefore simply stick to the ac3 sound file and remux it to an avi file

you better try to tell us what the original source format is and WHERE these files are supposed to be played and with what kind of hardware or otherwise one could get the impression answering/making proposal will be good for nothing anyway

Comment

• timbo 2410
      • Feb 2009

I posted here because it was for the newbies just like me hehe so for interests sake and for those people that might have the same problems as me, I thought that posting this question here might also benefit those same people. I also think that with a lot of coverage, I may get the help I need
      If I have gone outside the boundaries I do appologise

Comment

• timbo 2410
        • Feb 2009

I must also say that I have had quite a few movies that I have converted to Divx (that say they are AC3) that have converted to an excelent dolby 5:1 surround sound. Whether this is due to the original file or the divx converter I don't know. But these are the quality files I am looking for

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

in order to give you some more ideas as to what you could try we still need to know the input format

like i said: it is no problem creating avi files with an ac3 as soundstream but this will require decent input (soundwise)

for example converting dvd to avi can look like this:
          - the conversion tool will convert the video stream with divx or xvid codec and
          - keep the original ac3 soundstream to
          - finally mux (multiplex) both video + audio file to the said avi file with ac3 soundstream

so if your current tool will not provide this way of conversion a different tool should be used

Comment

• gonwk
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2005

Hi timbo,

Try AutoGK ... it puts out AC3 and it is pretty straight-forward application.

G!

Comment

• timbo 2410
              • Feb 2009

ok I have downloaded and installed AutoGK. Both GSPOT and AutoGK say the format of the AVI is XVID with 384 kb AC3 2.0 audio. I can play the avi with nero7 without issue. I will not play using the divx player. I cannot burn the avi to dvd with nero as the sound goes weird. I am about to try burning with AutoGK. I did a "preview" of the movie in AutoGK but there is no sound during preview. Is this correct??

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

last try: WHERE do you want to play the file?

normally you simply burn the file in FILE MODE to cd/dvd and it will play on..... well WHAT???

Comment

• timbo 2410
                  • Feb 2009

oh I see what you mean I play them on a Divx supported stand alone DVD player running through HIFI system for audio and direct video output to TV. I can obviously run DVD video as normal players do but I have the option of running DIVX files.

Comment

• timbo 2410
                    • Feb 2009

I have just finished converting the problem file and it has converted without problem and with top quality video and audio. I used AutoGK. I'll try and convert all the other problem files and see what the outcome is. I will re-post to let you know how it went thanks one and all

Comment

• timbo 2410
                      • Feb 2009

I celebrated too soon. The video converted very well, and I used the divx output mode, it still will not play on the divx player on the computer?? I don't understand. I had the settings on AutoGK so that it would output a divx file but nope, no go. I am now running the supposed converted file through nero to a dvd and I will see how it plays on my standalone dvd player

Comment

• paglamon
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Aug 2005

The video converted very well, and I used the divx output mode, it still will not play on the divx player on the computer??
                        Does it play on the standalone player ?
                        sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• timbo 2410
                          • Feb 2009

oh ... I just selected "Divx" and that was it, i left the program to sort it out for itself .... I will check out the settings etc

Comment

Working...