• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vaughn
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Jan 2002

To those Gknot experts out there!

Well so far i have tried flask, dvdx and gknot and the worst results by far have been gknot. Can't figure out why it is so highly recomended here.

I follow the guide here and use Divx 5. I reformatted and reinstalled windows recently as well so too start fresh. I do evreything by the book. I use smartripper and everything.

The latest problem is after about 16 hours of decoding i received one 616mb file that has horrible video quality and no sound whatsoever. To make matters worse i had picked the 2 CD option and second pass for better quality. Also i do not make a mp3 before i start.

I stopped doing compression tests because they always come out at approx 33% or so, reducing resolution did not bring that up. This particular rip was attemped with a resolution of 720 x 480 (default) load of 16.4%. NTSC 4:3.

THis is what the encoder had to say on my last failure:

8/29/02 1:05:03 PM Job "Cowboys"finished
    total encoding time 15 hours, 47minutes, 5seconds

1:05:03pm: Movie = C:/2ndstep cowboys.avi
    1:05:03pm: Done

1:05:03pm: finishing appending credits, duration 2 seconds
    1:05:01pm started appending credits C:/cowboys_movie.avi

1:05:01pm speed 0.000 frames per second
    1:05:01pm finished divx5-second pass. Duration 7 hours, 49 minutes, 37seconds
    5:15:23am started divx5-second pass : C:/cowboys.avs

5:15:23am now encoding at1027K{=1000}bits/s
    5:15:23am ERROR correction impossible
    5:15:23am original bitrate = 1027k{=1000}bits/s
    5:15:23am correcting bitrate...
    5:15:23am WARNING diference 298586
    5:15:23am WARNING counted 0
    5:15:23am WARNING settings 298586
    5:15:23am WARNING number of counted frames differs from settings!
    5:15:23am Speed 0.000 Frames per Second
    5:15:23am error Could not count encoded frames
    5:15:23am trying to open log file
    5:15:23am finished divx5-first pass duration: 7 hours 57 min 24 s
    9:17:58pm started divx5 first pass C:/ cowboys.avs

9:17:58pm: audio 1, disabled, no recalc, you probally want to add this track later
    9:17:58pm audio 1, calc 155671kb
    8/28/02 9:17:58pm job "cowboys" started

I have spent many frustrating hours on this, any help is appreciated!!!
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Reinstall divx5.02.

This usually happens when you install Gknot0.21 full version after installing divx5, and forget to uncheck divx4 installation durring the GKnot install.

Reinstalling divx5 should fix it.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Erci
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      Digital Video Enthusiast
      • Nov 2001

Re: To those Gknot experts out there!

Originally posted by Vaughn

This particular rip was attemped with a resolution of 720 x 480 (default) load of 16.4%. NTSC 4:3.
      Do not ever attempt to rip a movie in it's original resolution. It really gives you a crappy quality if you don't use a really high bitrate.
      Allways crop and resize your movie, if you don't do that the black borders on all movies will take up unnecessary bitrate that you need to the movie.
      Read stuff about this to understand it better, it'll give you a better quality, I promise.

//Erci
      DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• mnd
        • May 2002

There is certainly a great enjoyment to achieve a very difficult task as Gordian Knot, Also I understand which choose that way. For my part, poor Boeotian, I rarely reach the end with this tool,
        "un marteau pilon pour enfoncer une punaise" as we say . Also I prefer easier tools as Xmpeg, after some experiments I have resumed in "Tips and Tricks for Xmpeg 4.5 at http://forum.digital-digest.com/show...hreadid=10564. for millions of Boeotians as me

Good luck !

Comment

• jimhaddon
          • Aug 2002

When i first came here, i found out that Gknot was the best thing (so everyone said) SO i downloaded it, and tried it. I encoded my first moive, and it was absolutely crap. press 1CD and it came out with a file at 100MB so i ran it anyway, and it was crap quality. Now i re-installed Divx 5.02, and it works perfectly well, and gives me perfect quality every time. As i look through the forums, i find that many people have this same problem. Re-installing divx 5.02 does it.
          Thanx

James Haddonjavascript:smilie('')

Comment

• ACIDROP
            • Aug 2002

gknot is the best!

I have tried all the toolz(and buggy shit like flask and xmpeg)
            gknot is the BEST but you have to be a little experienced to
            achieve the best result...be patiend and do many tests before ripping all the movie..e.g try to encode a small part about 5min
            see the results and then go on..

cheers!

Comment

• Vaughn
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Jan 2002

Well i did re-install Divx5.02 and this time i had no error messages at all in my encoder box.

However the odd thing is i ended up with two really big files in the end this time. One file was 1.12 Gig and the other was 1.35 Gig. The 1.12 G file has no sound, is quite blocky, and playback is terrible because it pauses every few seconds. The second file (1.35 G) has sound but is not synchronized with the video is also very blocky and playback is the same as the first. Also both of these files are the complete movie, not pt. one and pt. two.

THe blocky part... well next time i will change resolution from default of 720 x 480 to something lower, that may fix that.

However in Gnot i picked two CD's of 695mb each so why do i get two huge files, each of the complete movie? Yes i could split the 1.35 G one but i thought Gknot did that.

Why is audio not syncronized with video?

"Allways crop and resize your movie, if you don't do that the black borders on all movies will take up unnecessary bitrate that you need to the movie.
              Read stuff about this to understand it better, it'll give you a better quality, I promise.

//Erci"

Jeez i have volumes on the subject, part of the problem is that so many opinions are conflicting, hard to say what is true without your own trial and error. I use smartcrop all and with my latest failure there are not black bars at all.

Comment

• khp
                The Other
                • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Vaughn
                However the odd thing is i ended up with two really big files in the end this time. One file was 1.12 Gig and the other was 1.35 Gig. The 1.12 G file has no sound
                This is perfectly normal, GKnot encodes the movie without audio and then muxes the audio into the avi file after encoding. The 1.12 gig file can be deleted when GKnot is done. You then need to split the 1.35 gb file in two (GKnot does not do this for you).

As for your quality problems, that may well caused by interlaceing, and too little bitrate at the selected resolution. Interlacing artifacts really kills compressability. To get great quality, in a NTSC rip, you have to get the movie properly ivtc'ed. Don't ask me how this is done.
                Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
                http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• techno
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Nov 2001

your better off using DIVX v3.11alpha of MSMPEG 4 v2 doing a nandub 2pass encoding method, visit my site, or erci's

Comment

• UncasMS
                    Super Moderator
                    • Nov 2001

nonsense

Comment

• techno
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Nov 2001

heheheh...u would say that

And u know it's true

Comment

• Enchanter
                        Old member
                        • Feb 2002

Admittedly, DivX 5 configuration options are much easier to learn and get used to, as compared to the more complex nandub. If I were to recommend either the DivX 5 codec or nandub (3.11a/MPEG4V2) to someone who has just started into this whole thing, the former would get my approval. Quality is no longer an issue here.

As a note, I'm still using nandub simply because I have been using it for a long time, am very used to it and like it. Old habits die hard...

Comment

• Erci
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          • Nov 2001

I must say that i agree with Enchanter.. I still use DivX 3.11 with nandub but I must say that you can get the same quality with 5.02 now.

//Erci
                          DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• techno
                            Digital Video Master
                            Digital Video Master
                            • Nov 2001

GRR

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

don't leave me!!!! PLEASE!! lol

Comment

• mnd