Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

I repeat, "with a hex editor or a small program named appropriately, "FOURCC Changer"..."

Comment

• kezzzs
      • Dec 2002

i've tried it but unfortunatly the dvd player has absolutly no support for divx 3 files. only the audio works. it comes up with an error and all. I wouldn't be too envious of it. it might cost a pretty penny but the software keeps crashing and messing up. hopefully all these issues will be sorted in the next firmware update!

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

You have to change the FOURCC code FROM DIV3 TO the appropriate FOURCC code of DivX v.4.xx, DivX 5.xx (or similar).

Try DX50

If that doesn't work, remember that it was only a thought from UncasMS of a possible "quick fix"...

Comment

• Bendik
          • Dec 2002

Kiss DVD & divX player

I just bought the Kiss DVD 450.
          Then I realized that all my divX films were compressed with divX3.11 and so I have began converting my films to divX5.02

Aprat from a minor audio problem virtual dub (that comes with the new rippack 3bv16.1) worked fine, and the result from a 700Mb divX3.11 was a 420Mb divX5.02 (one pass quality based).
          What amazed me was that the quality of the output was really good! From 700Mb to 420Mb and I could hardly see the quality loss! Most mysterious!

The problem with the sound was that it was out of sync, so I had to:
          1) extract the audio track to an uncompressed wav (as virtual dub instructed.)

2) convert the original divx3 video and the uncompressed audio to create a new divX5.02 file. (the PC is still working on this)

The Kiss DVD 450 has a bit 70's visual design, and a little buggy OS.
          So far I have only tested DVD and SVCD on it, with great success.

I'll post back with the results on the DivX3.11 to DivX5.02 conversion once I have tested this.

Comment

• Kevin AMD
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Dec 2002

don't re-encode jou only get quality loss anyway
            Let's all try to help each other

Comment

• perwil
              • Dec 2002

Hi I saw your discussion and I'm also thinking of buying the Kiss dvd player. Has anyone found out a solution to playing 3.x movies on it? Is the reencoding time-consuming and a lot of work? Are there other ways?

Is it a good idea to buy the Kiss dvd player anyway, I mean will most divx movies in the future be in v4.x or 5.x rather than 3.x?

Thanks!

/Per Wilhelmsson

Comment

• kezzzs
                • Dec 2002

Hello. The DP-450 is a very good player but at the moment there isn't any way to play DivX 3 unfortunatly. Kiss inform me that they can't talk about it but if it is possible they will do it as soon as possible. Encoding DivX3 films to 4 or 5 is fairly quick on a P4 2.4ghz (my computer) using VirtualDub. Just select the slowest encodeding, use a DivX calculator (may i surgest BCDE 2.0 - Bitrate Calculator for DivX: the Essential) and also select fast recompress. i find that a movie will generally encode in about 1 hour. the picture quality also seems unaffected doing this way also which is good. I'm afraid films probably won't be encoded in 4 or 5 by most people since i beleave that you don't get such a good picture quality with these and also most of the guides are written for using DivX 3. Hopefully more and more people will start using it but i seriously dought it. Hopefully they will use XVid since this is compatible and imho looks better that divx! Hope this helps! Kezzz

Comment

• alon_tuch
                  • Dec 2002

I got a KISS DP-450 Player too, and what I ask is that some one simply explain to me how to convert divx 3.11 to 4 or 5 take your pick! Changing the fourcc of the file does not do anything and the player with the current firmware (yes we have upgradable firmware (ogis Vorbin compatible!)) cannot support the pro features of divx 5. CAN SOMEONE JUST TELL ME HOW TO CONVERT 3.11 to 5 WITHOUT THE QUALITY LOSS??

Comment

• kezzzs
                    • Dec 2002

read my post above. its not that difficult

Comment

• alon_tuch
                      • Dec 2002

Virtual Dub will encode the output video of DIVX 3.11, then re-encode it to divx 5.02 this can provide substantial quality loss. I am trying to find out how to have divx 3.11 be converted to divx 5.02 not re-encoded.

Comment

• kezzzs
                        • Dec 2002

but this is the only way to do it. bealive me. follow my guides (i use divx 4) and you won't notice any difference in picture quality. when its playing on the DP-450 it looks even better

Comment

• alon_tuch
                          • Dec 2002

Thank you I will try it out today. Why have you chosen DIVX 4? is there any particular reason why 5 was not used.
                          I have heard a lot or rumors that the new firmware released by Kiss on the 18th has a lot of new errors in it, I have actually been called by my DVD retailer who said he got called by Kiss who told him that he should when selling the dvd player advise consumers to wait until a second release after the 18th has been done. Does anyone know anything about this??

Thankx for the guide.

Comment

• kezzzs
                            • Dec 2002

i choose divx 4 because i couldn't get divx5 working for some reason. Surely the 18th firmware hasn't quite been released yet. its not on their site. maybe in the morning...

Comment

• perwil
                              • Dec 2002

Any news on the Kiss and conversion fronts?

I'm thinking of holding up my purchase of a divx-dvd-player until it supports whichever is the most popular divx-format at that time. Maybe when/if xvid takes over? Until then an svcd-compatible dvd-player may be a good buy?

Does the Kiss 450 support subtitles by the way?

Comment

• UncasMS
                                Super Moderator
                                • Nov 2001

CAN SOMEONE JUST TELL ME HOW TO CONVERT 3.11 to 5 WITHOUT THE QUALITY LOSS??
                                stop shouting and read my very first repsonse!

and a quality loss will ALWAYS occur due to reencoding!

Comment

Working...