Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slappy_pappy
    • Feb 2002

convert codec 3 to 4 or 5?

Does anyone know if it's possible to convert div-x movies encoded with codec 3.11 to codec 4 or codec 5 in a simple way?

Thanks in advance.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Try the following to change codecs (compression) used:

1) Load the .AVI into VirtualDub

2) Set "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"

3) Set "Video" to "Full Processing Mode"

4) From under the "Video" dropdown menu, click on "Compression"

5) Select the codec that you want to change TO - If possible, set the adjustable settings to the same as the original file

6) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" and enter a new filename for the modified file

Comment

• slappy_pappy
      • Feb 2002

Thanks for answering.

I tried to do this in VirtualDub but when I'm going to save the file all I get is this message.

*Fatal Error
      Could not open log file for reading.

Would you mind making me an more consistently tutorial?

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Setarip's guide is aimed towards 1-pass encoding, you codec is probably configured for two pass encoding, in step 5 in setarips guide, you need to click configure after selecting the codec, and set encoding method to 1-pass, and select a resonable bitrate. You can calculate the bitrate using a bitrate calculator.

Digital Digest DivX XviD Software Section - List of recommended, top 10 DivX, XviD and AVI software, latest news and updates

If you feel up to it you could also go for a two pass encoding. As follows,

1) Load the file into virtualdub.
        2) Select video->fast recompression, audio->'Direct Stream copy'
        3) Select video->compression, Select DivX 5.02, configure, and set encoding mode to '2-pass first pass', set the bitrate, and click OK, OK.
        4) Select File->'Save as AVI', in the save menu, check 'Add operation to joblist and defer processing'. And Save the file under a new name.
        5) Select video->compression, Select DivX 5.02, configure, and set encoding mode to '2-pass second pass', and click OK, OK.
        6) Select File->'Save as AVI', in the save menu, check 'Add operation to joblist and defer processing'. And Save the file under a new name (it's OK to use the same file name for the first and second pass)
        7) Select File->'Job Control' and click start.
        Last edited by khp; 22 Dec 2002, 08:33 AM.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• slappy_pappy
          • Feb 2002

Thanks again for answering.

When I'm trying "1-pass" bitrate mode (efter using a bitrate calc) I instead get this error ->
          VirtualDub Error: Video compression error, Anunknown error acurred (may be corrupt data). (error code -100)

If someone please could make me somekind of "visual" tutorial (using screenshots) would be great.

Is there maybe somthing more I'm missing? There's alot of setting avaible in VirtualDub maybe there's a box I forgot to mark or unmark in the settings config.

Oh... on more thing, The only Div-X comperession under the "compressions menu I can find are the Div-X Pro 5.0 Codec, isn't 4.0 also supposed to be avaible?

Comment

• khp
            The Other
            • Nov 2001

Originally posted by slappy_pappy

VirtualDub Error: Video compression error, Anunknown error acurred (may be corrupt data). (error code -100)
            I'am not exactly sure what might cause this, as a test could you try setting audio to 'No audio' instead of direct stream copy.

Oh... on more thing, The only Div-X comperession under the "compressions menu I can find are the Div-X Pro 5.0 Codec, isn't 4.0 also supposed to be avaible?
            No, divx 4 and 5 can't be installed at the same time unless you playaround with some special tricks.

Comment

• slappy_pappy
              • Feb 2002

Doh!!!

I think I found the probelm, I forgot to register Div-X Pro.
              It seams to be working now.
              Last edited by slappy_pappy; 22 Dec 2002, 01:05 PM.

Comment

• khp
                The Other
                • Nov 2001

What's the easiest way for me to se how many kbit/sec the sound is encoded in? is there any special bitrate culculator you recomend?
                You can see see the total size of the audio track by selecting File->'File Information', the last number in the last field is the total size of the audio track in KB.
                You can then calculate the bitrate by dividing by the length in seconds and multiplying by 8.

I prefer using GordianKnot as a bitrate calculator, because you can enter the total size of the audio track instead of calculating the bitrate. GordianKnot can prefor a ton of other stuff, but you only need to use the bitrate tab, and there is no need to apply any of the upgrades, just select divx4, it will be fine for calculating the bitrate for divx5.

Comment

• slappy_pappy
                  • Feb 2002

Damn!

After I tried making a new file coded with the 5.0 codec all I got was a file with no image (just a green back) with audio.
                  This happend using the 2 pass encoding.

Comment

• khp
                    The Other
                    • Nov 2001

Did the filesize come out as large as you expected ?

Sounds like you didn't use '2 pass second pass' for the second pass.

Comment

• slappy_pappy
                      • Feb 2002

I flollowed both tutorials exactly.

No the filesize was only about 100mb out of 692mb.
                      Last edited by slappy_pappy; 22 Dec 2002, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• slappy_pappy
                        • Feb 2002

I've finnaly got it working now, exept the sound is way out of sync and don't match at all. Can this have something to do with this message I get from VirtualDub after I've opened the AVI file?
                        VBR audio stream detected
                        VirtualDub has detected an improper VB audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rwrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compability. This may itroduce up to 81853 ms of skew from the video stream. If this is umaccaptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate: 138,3 * 34,7 kbs)

How do I use GordianKnot as an bitrate calculator?

Comment

• UncasMS
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2001

How do I use GordianKnot as an bitrate calculator?
                          confer here:

Comment

• khp
                            The Other
                            • Nov 2001

VBR audio stream detected
                            VirtualDub has detected an improper VB audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rwrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compability. This may itroduce up to 81853 ms of skew from the video stream. If this is umaccaptable, decompress the *entire* audio stream to an uncompressed WAV file and recompress with a constant bitrate encoder. (bitrate: 138,3 * 34,7 kbs)

Yes Virtualdub is not kidding when it shows messages like this. You can solve it, either as the warning message says, or better yet, by doing the following:

1) Load the file into nandub
                            2) select File->Save WAV, and name the file whatever.mp3. This will extract the audio stream to an mp3 file
                            3) Do compression as described above, except that you select audio->'no audio' in virtualdub.
                            4) Load the new divx5 compressed avi file into nandub, select video->'Direct Stream copy', audio->'(VBR) MP3 file' and select the mp3 file you extracted from the original file. And save as avi under a new file name.

It's important that you use nandub for mp3 extraction and muxing, because only nandub handles VBR mp3 audio properly. And we can't use nandub for reencoding the video because nandub only encodes with Divx3.11.

Comment

• slappy_pappy
                              • Feb 2002

I finnaly got it to work now!
                              Thanks for the help all, particulary you khp!

There's just one more problem left, something's worong with the colors, all peoples faces are turning mauve/purple it's like they're slowly pulsating until next scene or camera angle it's really wierd, does anybody know how to fix this?

Also is there any program out there witch can do both the audio and AVI compression in to codec 4 or 5?

Oh and MERRY CHRISTMAS everybody.
                              Last edited by slappy_pappy; 24 Dec 2002, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Working...