Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cluth
    • Mar 2003

XviD to DivX or QT

In order for me to make a videoCD on my Mac, I need to get a movie that I have in XviD format into something that QuickTime can read.

QT can read DivX via the codec from divx.com, so if I can get XviD do DivX, that would probably work. Is there a piece of software that will convert XviD to DivX? (Or if there's a better way to do it, let me know, too.)

I have a Mac and a PC, so it doesn't matter what platform the software will run on. (No Linux, though...I used to but had to get rid of it.)

I need to end up with a QT-readable file because I have Toast Titanium and need to make a VideoCD image on my Mac first (the Mac is where my CD burner is).

Chris
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Virtualdub.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2003

to re-encode using VirtualDub do this
      Click on audio and set to direct stream copy
      Click on video and click Normal Recompression
      Click on Video and click on compression
      Choose a DivX codec
      Click on File
      Click Save as AVI

Comment

• cluth
        • Mar 2003

VirtualDub Error

I installed VirtualDub and tried to open my movie in it. I received the following error:

"Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'XVID' (unknown)

VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows media player, are not suitable."

Just background info on the file: it's an AVI compressed with XviD. I've gotten it to play in the VLC (VideoLAN Client) but not in Windows Media Player or the DivX Player.

Chris

Comment

• SKD_Tech
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2003

You need to install Tusanmi 3.9.9 codec/filter pack. You can download it at UncasMS's site here.

Comment

• cluth
            • Mar 2003

The site at UncasMS says "File not found."

I found a Tsunami 3.8.9 download at another site and installed it.

When I ran VirtualDub, a note came up saying that a "hacked DivX driver" or something like that had been detected, and that VirtualDub wasn't responsible for any instabilities.

Did I do something wrong?

CL
            Last edited by cluth; 13 Mar 2003, 07:05 PM.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2003

Nope it says that on everyones computer whenever they download a codec pack

Comment

• cluth
                • Mar 2003

Er, um, I forgot to mention in the last post that even after I installed the Tsunami codec, VirtulDub didn't open the file.

That would probably have been a key component in my post...

CL
                Last edited by cluth; 15 Mar 2003, 09:00 AM.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2003

Ok I want you to go to the forum search type in UncasMS find one of his posts and go to his website and download the brand new Tusanmi 3.9.9 It should be there because I just tried it out. Remember to uninstall the old Tusanmi first though.

When you install click on Custom Install and only install codecs/filters you need

Comment

• cluth
                    • Mar 2003

OK, the video now works, but I'm getting error messages related to the audio, and the audio doesn't play.

Is there a place (an info box or something) in VirtualDub (or some other place) that I can look up and see what audio format the audio track of the video is in?

Then I presume that I can install the codec from the Tsunami filter pack or something...

CL

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

GSPOT is part of tsunamis filterpack

open your file in gspot and it should be analyzed

Comment

• cluth
                        • Mar 2003

OK, GSpot (great tool!) says that the audio codec is MP3, and it's properly installed.

Attached is a screenshot of the virtualdub error. Is there anything I can do, or do I need to extract the audio as a WAV as it says and deal with it that way, and how do I go about doing that if necessary?

Is there an MP3 codec from the Tsunami filter package that I need to go back and install? (I unchecked all the MP3 codecs because I assumed they were already installed by default on the system.)

If so, can I just run the Tsunami installer again or should I uninstall Tsunami first and then reinstall it from scratch?

CL
                        Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

Converting .AVIs with VBR-MP3 Audio

Simply use NanDub to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
                          Load your original .AVI into NanDub
                          Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copy"
                          Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode"
                          From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Compression" - and choose ""
                          From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save WAV" (Enter a new filename with a ".WAV" extender).Click on "OK"
                          Then set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
                          Then save the .AVI as a silent .AVI (set "Audio" to "No audio" after you've saved the WAV file).

Then close NanDub and restart it
                          Set "Audio" to "No audio"
                          Load your silent .AVI
                          Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copying"
                          Under "Audio" click on "WAV Audio" and load your .WAV
                          Set "Audio" to "Full Processing Mode"
                          From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Compression" and choose the appropriate .MP3 settings. Click on "OK"
                          From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" and save your file with a new filename.

Comment

• MIB
                            • Mar 2003

IM having same prob as Cluth except whenever i stick the movie in virtual dub its fine for a while until a certain frame then i get an error and it stops on me. Im also using it to make a video cd. I encoded what i had and that much worked fine. Id like to get the whole movie , please help. If i need to be more specific about something, let me know. Also i tried to install the tsunami filter pack and couldnt figure it out. it told me to insert a disc and wouldnt let me get past that part.

Comment

• UncasMS
                              Super Moderator
                              • Nov 2001

UNchecking mp3 might lead to a deinstallation of those codecs.

uninstall tsunami completely and repeat the custom installtion or use the modify option and select what you think is missing.

Comment

Working...