Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Omega19632
    • Jan 2002

No sound in making AVIs

The video output looks great, but I can't find any way to get audio into the AVIs (been trying American Pie 2 & Fast and Furious). I set it to decode audio, tried 44100 and 48000 bitrates and "same as input", but nothing. On WinXP, I'm running FlaskMPEG 0.6, Divx 4.12, and a host of other codecs. I loaded Radium MP3 (nice menu, but I don't know how to use it). By loading 3 Lame-based downloads from this site, I finally have the option of MPEG Layer 3. (before that, nothing but PCM and Windows media v1 & v2). Even with MPEG Layer 3 selected, still no sound. I don't know if it's normal, but when Flasking, the menu shows: "Audio Format: N/A" & "Bitrate: N/A". Should this be? The only way I can get sound is if I select "OpenDML AVI Output" instead of "AVI Output", but this makes the file larger, and I don't know how compatible this file would be for other players. Please help. What other information can I provide to figure out this problem?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

have you installed and registered the mp3 codecs correctly???

Comment

• Omega19632
      • Jan 2002

I ran the setup program for the Radium codec, which gave a shortcut to a menu which I don't know how to use, or if I even need to. I installed Lame-3.91, LameACM090d, and Lamecom files per their instructions, and now I can at least choose MPEG Layer 3 for the audio codec. I assume that they're installed correctly, but how can I tell? Are there others that I should have?

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

you should always use OpenDML avi, the reason it's larger is probably that it has sound

Anyway flask can be very picky about audio codec's it can be a bit of a game finding one that works, and some may cause flask to crash even though u don't select them.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Hey Yoda
          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by khp
          you should always use OpenDML avi, the reason it's larger is probably that it has sound

Anyway flask can be very picky about audio codec's it can be a bit of a game finding one that works, and some may cause flask to crash even though u don't select them.
          I too am having a problem with no audio. If you need o use "OpenDML avi" then why does it say here to use "avi output"?

Anyway, if I select "OpenDML avi" then with mp3 I can't select 48khz. Won't it cause problems with synchronization if you use 44,100Hz?

Comment

• Hey Yoda
            • Jan 2002

OK, I got it going now with opendml avi, using "divx audio 48khz", but when I encode it still says:

audio format: N/A
            audio bitrate: N/A

What's going on??

Comment

• khp
              The Other
              • Nov 2001

If you need o use "OpenDML avi" then why does it say here to use "avi output"?
              I don't know the author of the article so I can't tell what, what I can tell u is that I have never had any problems with openDML avi, and the old avi will cause problems, in some cases, such as 3 CD rips.

Anyway, if I select "OpenDML avi" then with mp3 I can't select 48khz. Won't it cause problems with synchronization if you use 44,100Hz?
              You should never resample with flask.

audio format: N/A
              audio bitrate: N/A
              Oh, you mean in the status window durring encoding right ?
              that doesn't mean anything.

Comment

• Omega19632
                • Jan 2002

Solution Found

I agree. Why does the walkthrough tell you to use "AVI Output" instead of "OpenDML AVI Output"...because it stinks. I'd been testing 60 seconds of AP2 and noticed that the DML-AVIs were a litle bigger, so I went ahead and did the complete movie. With all bitrates, video and audio the same as "AVI Output", the "OpenDML AVI Output" version was 1.83GB. Apparently, the larger the movie clip, the more it grows. So, rest assured that it's not slightly bigger because it has sound, but almost 3 times the size it should be, because of the format. I finally gave up and tried XMPEG, and what do you know, I just made my first movie tonight, without any problems. Looks great, sounds great. If FlaskMPEG is that picky, I'm deleting it from my system. There is no reason that a program should be so impossible to work with, when another program works so easily. Obviously many people use FlaskMPEG without difficulty, but it sounds like I'm not the only one who has this same problem. Maybe we didn't load the codecs in a specific sequence, or choose the exact iDCT, or some other basic variable not covered in the walkthrough, but it should not that difficult. Hey Yoda, my recommendation is to switch to XMPEG.

Comment

• khp
                  The Other
                  • Nov 2001

...but almost 3 times the size it should be, because of the format
                  I find this very strange, there is no way the fileformat can cause this, must be either your audio or video stream that is hugely oversized, most likely the audio stream.

Try to open the avi file in virtualdub and select file->file properties this will tell u the total size of the audio and video streams.

I assure you that the OpenDML avi file format does not stink, any decent avi encoding tool supports OpenDML avi.

I won't tell u which tool u should use.
                  In fact I strongly urge u to try as many tools as possible and then select the one u like the most.

You asked for help with flask and I have tried to give u that.

Comment

• khp
                    The Other
                    • Nov 2001

If u don't belive me read this guide

Comment

• Thrawn
                      • Jan 2002

u said u didnt use the radium mp3 codec setup completely

just say install in the menu that opens and install to the pregiven place, that was all, u dont even need to pack the zip i think.
                      The Grandadmiral was here!

Comment

• Hey Yoda
                        • Jan 2002

Well I was able to get sound to work by using Flask .594 instead of Flask .60. It doesn't have all the features that .60 does, but it's acceptable. I tried xmpeg but it kept giving me errors and I didn't like the interface at all, so flask .594 it is for me.

Comment

• khp
                          The Other
                          • Nov 2001

. I tried xmpeg but it kept giving me errors and I didn't like the interface at all
                          That I can definetly agree uppon.

For flask0.594 make sure that u get the px3 update.

Comment

• Hey Yoda
                            • Jan 2002

Originally posted by khp

That I can definetly agree uppon.

For flask0.594 make sure that u get the px3 update.
                            Where might I find this px3 update? And what's it do?

Comment

• khp
                              The Other
                              • Nov 2001

you should be able to find it here

It fixes a problem with broken frames causing 'out of sync' audio.

Comment

Working...