X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

A little Nandub question

For the motion part, is it truly recommended to use purely low-motion codec? (Set all sliders to 300). I was originally thinking of using BOTH the low-motion (LM) and fast-motion (FM) codec, with the margin of motion at, perhaps, around 200. However, the guides advised against this (Obvious pause during transition between the codecs) and recommended the use of the DRF (Detail Removal Factor) features instead.

Then came this nagging question. So is the difference between LM and FM found in the DRF and the SCD (Scene Change Detection) settings? Or is there more? Another question is, the FM codec was designed to handle fast-motion scenes, so why shouldn't I use it and why let the LM codec do it, when it's not really designed to handle that? I think the answer lies in the DRF thingy, but I just want someone to clarify it for me.

I don't really mind too, if someone would just say that they're using the FM alone or in conjunction with the LM codec. It'll be good to know that someone has the same opinion then.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

due to NANDUBS ability to analyze each and every frame and thus being able to allocate precisely the amount of bitrate needed/allowed because of user settings lowmotion only is the best choice.

since LM gives better results than FM as soon as it is able to allocate enough bitrate to saturate macroblocks efficiently and nandub is able to control this process stick to LOW MOTION and be sure to you decent settings within the sbc-options.

the MOTION register is fine by default, in COMPRESSION LEVELS, change keyframe quality to: min:2, max:4

GAUGE can be neglected, i.e. is fine by default

in BITRATE CURVE i prefer 25% motion based curve modulation

and in DIVX i'd suggest to change minimum allowed bitrate to approx 1000 when aiming for a 2cd rip.

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Thanks again, Uncas.

Your settings, though, are a tad too high for someone who does 1-CD rips.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

true!

my aim is 2 cd quality!

Comment

• techno
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Nov 2001

UnCASMS is the nandub guru! He rules!

Still, I am not acheiving much greater quality than what I had expected but still he and nandub rules!

Techno

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

If that is so, would Uncas kindly share with me some other values he uses? I'm still learning to make the best looking SBC movie here. I know some values depend very much on the type and length of movie you're downloading, but there must be some values that kind be used for any kind of movies. For example, I'm not using any curve modulation (0%) and the result looks good to me anyway.

Say, I'm ripping an anime episode (roughly 20 minutes) at a bitrate of 1000. How would you set Nandub? I'm aiming for around 175MB per episode. The DVD series I'm currently ripping look pretty bad and have a significant amount of noise (terrible for DVDs, I'd say). I'm using a HQ Smoother filter to clean up the video and it slows down encoding speed by 75% (down to 4-5fps from 17-20fps), so I can't afford to keep reencoding each episode till I find the perfect settings. Not to mention there are 26 of them.
            Last edited by Enchanter; 3 Mar 2002, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Working...