Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PCaravan
    • Jun 2002

computer freezes on playback

Some of the avi files I download will play fine for most of the video but freezes in the same spot every time with any playback program I use except realplayer but the video quality in realplayer is choppy. Other avi files I download play just fine and don't freeze. Could this be a problem of not having the right codec of my computer trying to use the wrong codec. I have Windows XP and have tried using Windows Media Player, the Playa, DivX Player 2.0 Alpha, and Win DVD. I can skip past the spot where it freezes and contue watching the video until I reach another spot where it freezes. The files that have this problem usually have 2 or three spots where it freezes. Any suggestions?
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

It could be a codec issue, to divulge which codec the media was encoded in, open virtualdub, "file"---?"file information"

Secondly use wmp 6.4 (some people have problems with wmp 7. 1 or higher).

If your problem presists, the media may be "corrupt". I experienced similar freezing in virtually all my divx files. I searched around quite a bit, and I took to the easiest solution was to install "divx antifreeze" (DivXAF 0.4) from:

This website is for sale! tac.ee is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, tac.ee has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Try running DivFix on the video files too.

Comment

• dvdhackmaster
        Suspended
        • Jul 2002

I t might concern with codec . you can use Divx Pro 5.0.2 and I think it is the best comparing with others.

you should not use wmp for lotsa people have problem with it when playing Divx file . you can use Divx player or PowerDVD.

Comment

• Fluffy
          • Nov 2001

Personaly, I love WMP 6.4 for playing back Divx. In my experience (not much I admit) I've found the players included with divx to be buggy and not very good. WMP 7.1 isnt very good because it hogs memory, and adjusting codec settings can be a pain. I like the playlist in it though. All and all, I stick with WMP 6.4
          Helicopters do not fly. They beat the sky into submission.
          -Aaden Satpulov

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

pcaravan, try to find out if this happens with a certain kind of codec used for those videos that freeze.

check by loading the files into nandub and take a look at file information.

in case it happens with certain codecs only, let us know which one

Comment

Working...