Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PCaravan
    • Jun 2002

Some files won't work in WMP

I have recently downloaded 3 avi files that I can't get to work in WMP. I can get them to play in other players so I know I have the right codec. I have downloaded many avi files before and I've never had this problem. When I try to play them in WMP it just shows the 'ambience color' it would normally play with an audio file and the length of the 'song' is something like 16 hours when the video should be less than 2. When checking properties using WMP it says the video codec is unkown. When checking properties from explorer it will tell the video codec. Anybody know why this is happening and how I can make it work?
  • PCaravan
    • Jun 2002

I now have 4 avi files that do this. I prefer using WMP because I always have problems when I use other players (computer freezes or crashes). Please someone help!!

By the way, I can prevew them in VirtualDub as well.

Comment

• PCaravan
      • Jun 2002

If anybody's paying attention to this thread, I've used virtual dub to make a knew avi of the movies with Divx 5.0 codec and it works. Just took some time to learn how to do it since I haven't encoded any movies myself into Divx though I have made some VCDs. If anybody knows why WMP does this with some movies, please let me know.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

use wmp 6.4 or bsplayer or powerdivx or medai player classic but stay away from wmp7/8

Comment

• PCaravan
          • Jun 2002

I've tried to get 6.4 from the Microsoft website. The only one I can find says it's for Windows 95 and I can't get it to install anyway. I have Windows XP home with WMP 8.0.

How do I get it. I've seen other people in this forum say the've installed 6.4 who apparently have XP and had WMP 8.0 so I know it can be done but I don't know how.

Comment

Working...