Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • allenmd5
    • Nov 2002

Help. MS MP Playback and Type-1 AVI

Please help. I am having terrible issues getting a file (a type-1 DV AVI file) to play with windows media player. I am using Windows XP HomeEdition,and I am pretty sure the trouble started when I downloaded Service Pack 1.
    I double-clicked on the AVI file (which used to play just fine in WMP) and got an error (0x800A017F) on which there was no further explanation. I went on a desperate search to find info on how I might have damaged my codec installations. I went as far as to use the AVIResetAll.reg which I found at www.doom9.org. I noticed that, previous to the running of the registry script, I was missing the Cinepak and Indeo CODECs that I used to have in my system. I know there is not something wrong with the file because I took it to work and can play it there. Can anyone help? I realize it is probably a CODEC issue but do not know how to get the proper ones installed. I cannot seem to get Cinepak or Indeo re-installed!! I used VirtualDub to get file information and it gace me the typical "You have a Type-1 AVI file and VD cannot handle the audio, etc..." error. Looking at the file info, it thinks the codec is the MainConcept DV CODEC, but the Audio Stream info is blank!! I am not sure what that means. I have tried the file on my computer at work and can play it just fine as the computer is using XP and is the same setup that my computer at home USED to be. Please give me a clue as to how I can get my computer back to where it was and able to play files. BTW, I have tried opening the file with TMPGEnc and get the "Cannot open, unsupported" error. I cannot restore my XP to a previous state as the SP1 install seemed to kill all my restore points. I am at my wits end! Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

hi allenmd5

go to my page, download the 13mb tsunamifilterpack (NOT the miniversion - that one wont contain the filters you're talking about) 396 and install it.

Comment

• allenmd5
      • Nov 2002

I'm sorry, but after "repairing" my WinXP setup, installing Tsunami, then Nimo CODECs, I still couldn't get media player to work. I did notice that the one CODEC missing from my computer at home that was on the computers that work is the Microsoft Video 1 CODEC. Is this important? I thought it was only for 8 and 16-bit encoded files. is there anything else I can try?

THANKS for all your help!

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

From the "Run" command, type "MPLAYER2.EXE" to install the older, more reliable Windows Media Player v.6.4, which should, I believe, restore the "standard" codecs as well...

Comment

Working...