Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • waterfirewood
    • Mar 2003

Problems Installing Codecs

We had a wonderful surprise this weekend and actually got a brand new computer. We were so excited and started playing with it right away. Of course, with all of my media files I have burned for later consumption, I wanted to get all of my codecs installed so that I could watch on my pretty new monitor with the fast fast fast computer, but of course, fate decided to throw a whammy my way.

I got an error message while trying to install Nimo, saying that one file in the System32 folder was unable to be changed, but as that has happened in the past and ignoring it caused no problems I ignored it and went on with the installation. When I went to play one of my old files, it didn't work. So I thought, well, maybe that file is a problem, let's try Tsunami and see if that will fix it. I tried twice to install Tsunami but it kept bringing up error message about files that couldn't be replaced, so I finally scrapped the whole thing.

Thinking that it was an administrator versus limited user problem I tinkered around with that, to no avail. (Just in case anyone wanted to ask, I am running XP on the new system) Any advice for me on this one?

Danielle
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

i'd try tsunami filterpack 3.9.9

Comment

• waterfirewood
      • Mar 2003

That's actually what I tried. I went to the link in your sig, and grabbed the full pack for 3.9.9 and tried installing it. On an update kind of note, I tried again yesterday to install both of the codec packs (Nimo and Tsunami 3.9.9) and they both caused WMP9 to crash immediately. However, I uninstalled them both, and tried running an old file in WMP9 and it worked fine after that, so I really have no idea what's going on at this point.

My main concern is that some of my newer files may need the Tsunami 3.9.9 for its 5.0.3 codec, but perhaps the latest batch of stuff from Microsoft fixed my problem. Wouldn't that be funny? Never had that happen before...

Danielle

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

i would never use wmp 7/8/9 for ANY playback.

did you ever try a decent player like wmp6.4, bsplayer or zoomplayer?

with no filterpack/filter installed will you run into trouble sooner or later as many files will require divx 5.x or xvid for video and ac3 or ogg for the audio part.

Comment

Working...