No matter what I do...Xvid probs revisited, ideas anyone?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • track7uk
    • Feb 2003

No matter what I do...Xvid probs revisited, ideas anyone?

Hi

I recently had to reformat and reinstall XP. However trying to remember how i got xvid codec working is a nightmare.

Basically I have the lastest build and version of Xvid (both guys builds) ffdshow, and 399 tsunami.

I have tried every permutation of installing these together and on their own and yet I still get the same problem. When playing in WMP9 or 6.4 or kazaa avi preview....the picture is running at only 14-17 frames per second making it jerky and audio out of sync. Also the whole system becomes sluggish i.e mouse responds slowly. Also when trying to play it in BSPlayer i just get a scrambled green screen.

This is crazy cause I have a fresh install of XP and nothing should be conflicting shouldn't it work?

Oh btw i know about changing the fourCC thing i that works but I have tons of xvids already on cd's and would like to use the xvid codec correctly and not have to change all those fourCC's...

Thanks in advance

track7
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

what are your system specs?

uninstall all codecs and try only ffdshow

Comment

• track7uk
      • Feb 2003

Hi..

system specs are PIV 1.6 ghz 256 ram ATI 32 meg vid card

as i said somehow i managed to get it working in the past but i han't got a clue how.

I'll try JUST ffdshow again see if that works....

thanks i'll re-post shortly wit the results

track

Comment

• track7uk
        • Feb 2003

Ok....just tried ffdshow on its own with eerything else removed.

Still no good same 14/17 frame p/sec playback = jerky...

anymore things to try?

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

Try upgrading your drivers. Sounds like a driver issue (or overlay).

Try playing the files in the DIVX PLAYER.

Comment

• track7uk
            • Feb 2003

Hey batman thanks...

erm which drivers do you think cause my graphics card has the latest XP drivers....what do you mean by overlay?

thanks

track

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

Searching google.com may be useful, see if others have a similar problem.

You can also check your graphics card settings to see if you can improve playback somehow.

You may have some limited luck with BSPLAYER.

Comment

• track7uk
                • Feb 2003

Couldn't find anything really helpful on google...

i checked my graphics card but i'm fairly sure there are no options to tweak, both BSPlayer and DivX player play green scrambled and blue scrambled pictures respectivley...as mentioned earlier the WMPers play it but its at 14 frames a second and really jerky.....

Comment

• wingcom
                  • May 2002

Same problem here @t casa wingcom,

I have 2 systems: 1 desktop(dt) and 1 laptop(lt). The dt has several codecs installed: Divx 5.0.1 Pro Bundle, Divx 3.1 alpha, Huffyuv AVI lossless video codec, Nimo Codec Pack v5.0 and XviD MPEG-4 Codec. I have tons of movies, own rips but also downloaded ones from known groups as DVL, DCN, Vite... ALL files playback well on this system, never had any problem although i'm using different codecs at once.

The lt plays most of those files too but has experienced ALOT of trouble with XviD movies. My first move was to install all codecs that where on the dt system but that gave me a green screen with morphing colors. I read some info on this forum and other ones and uninstalled everything. Then i installed the xvid codec only and the picture wasn't green anymore (note that i tried several but only one release gave me satisfying results) but... now i have the same problem as mentioned above: video is to slow and jerky

Then i read about ffdshow, installed nearly every release... result: Every player i tested it on crashes when trying to load those same XviD movies but it didnt with Divx movies... and i'm talking "illegal instruction at memory adress..." here ( tested on BSPlayer and Mediaplayer )

What the heck is this problem about? There doesn't seem to be a straightforward answer to it yet cus' everybody is giving other solutions that 'might' work, if you ask me its conflicting with something but where do i start looking?

I would reaaaaaalllly like them to work on my laptop too so that i can watch them while i'm in bath

Any help is appreciated, i will do my best to keep my progress posted here too and find a solution that suites all...

Cheers
                  wingcom

need mentioning that my laptop is 450mhz while my desktop pc runs at 800mhz. Does XviD use more system resources?

Comment

• Batman
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2002

@wingcom

Install the latest patches for your system.

Secondly, uninstall NIMO and all unnecesary codecs. Reboot, installing only the codecss you will need. For FFDSHOW to work make sure you have at least directx8.

As a last resort (search the forum for details and tips on xvid trouble shooting) consider using the divx 5.02 decoder to playback xvid, by changing the fourcc code of the xvid file to divx or dx50

Comment

• wingcom
                      • May 2002

Problem solved

Hey batman thanx for the quick response first of all,

I've taken all necessary steps and
                      1. updated my drivers using windows update...
                      2. got ridd of all codecs and packs...
                      3. installed Koepies build of the xvid codec...

So now i' working with:
                      - DivX 5.0.3 Pro bundle
                      - XviD MPEG-4 (Koepie's build dd. 04102002)
                      - AC3 codec
                      So only the stuff i needed to run my movies this resulted in NO MORE green display and morphing colours, so display is good but frames run to slow.

Then i did some reading in Koepie's help file where it explained that the fourcc was indeed a hack to be able to use directshow filters cus the XviD codec only has a beta-release directshow filter which asks alot of processor speed (so not for my 450Mhw box) but i didnt want to use the hack yet cus i knew that ffdshow also supported the XviD codec, so i was testing that first

ffdshow gave me alot of trouble, it crashed all players and the configuration file didnt start, it gave an error. But after reinstalling i did it differently and FIRST started the Configuration file which worked well now! Then i closed the config and tested the XviD movies 8Mile and Blue Crush

BOTH of them are working PERFECTLY!

So i thought i just posted it here, how i fixed it and i'm pretty sure it will work in all cases. The secret is: ONLY koepie's build and ffdshow to be able to use post-processing

Thanx again for the help

ciao
                      wingcom

Comment

• GreenScreen
                        • Apr 2003

Easy fix for Xvid Green Screen w/Blocks or Playing Well w/ no audio

Many people seem to be having this same problem as I once did:

Green screen in Windows Media Player with scattered weird blocks.

Often if you fix this problem you get no audio. Here is an easy way to have both high quality Xvid video and audio (wow! what a concept)

If you have Nimo codec pack installed, uninstall it completely, as well as any other divx/xvid codecs listed in Add/Remove programs. I am not saying Nimo is crap, but it screwed up my computer. I am sure there are very good codecs included in the pack, but it seems unstable.

Download and install the 3ivx codec from http://www.3ivx.com/download/index.html . I have found that their website is down sometimes, so if you get an error, just try them again a little while later.

Now you should have video.

If you still don't have audio go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/ac3filter/ , click on Download and download the exe version of the latest build (should be the top one). When you install this AC3 audio decoder, your audio should work.

Some files, however use Ogg Vorbis encoding for the audio, in that case install the Ogg decoder from http://www.divx-ac3.com/ .

At least all of this fixed it on my WinXP machine.

Also, if this message helps you fix the problem, please cut and paste this fix to every message board you know of where people are having this problem. Maybe we can put an end to it once and for all.

-----
                        Robby

Comment

• Enchanter
                          Old member
                          • Feb 2002

Att'n: wingcom

The driver release for the ATI Radeon series at Windows Update is relatively outdated. Download and install the latest Catalyst driver from www.ati.com instead.

Comment

• pawel78
                            • Oct 2003

Tried all the options without successful results, but then burned a Xvid on a CD! Now all my Xvid movies play fine when played from a CD-rom with DMA on. They only skip while playing from the hard drive. That doesnt really solve the problem, but thats one way to go around it.

Paul

Comment

• Enchanter
                              Old member
                              • Feb 2002

That's one queer solution ...

Comment

Working...