Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • temppimp
    • Jun 2003

Divx AVI's are now Oily-looking when played in WMplayer

Ok, all of a sudden some of my divx avi's are having lower picture quality than usual when played in Windows Media Player. Instead of being crystal clear like they're supposed to, they now look really "oily". This is the best way I can describe it anyway...

I think it happened when I accidently installed an old divx 4 codec. Anyway, I removed it (at least I think I did, I uninstalled it) and reinstalled the latest divx codec from divx.com (divx5.05 bundle). The movies still look oily. The movies will play fine in the player that came with the 5.05 bundle, just not in WMP. I don't really like that player though, as it lags a lot when fast-forwarding/rewinding.

Any help for fixing my problem??
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Try using FFDShow to decode your DivX videos...

Comment

• temppimp
      • Jun 2003

ffdshow...problems

Ok, the following is the results of me trying to remedy my problem by following the advice of some people on a different forum. So far I am running in circles, either some of my videos have the greentint while others work fine or the ones that usually have the green tint work fine while the others look "oily". I have tried to uninstall all divx codecs on my system but after using GSpot, I see that there is still at least one, and it does not show up under "Add/Remove Programs". Anyway, here is what GSpot shows for the video codecs on my computer:

(if link doesn't work, copy and paste URL)

First, I uninstalled all the divx codecs that I could using "Add/Remove Programs". I installed Nimo.Codec.Pack.5.Build.7.exe while keeping it's default settings while installing. I then go to view my videos. First, I view the smaller AVI that usually has the green tint problem, and it plays fine, no green tint. I then try to view the other video that usually has the oily problem, and it shows up all oily.

So, I go to install ffdshow-20030103.exe. When I install it, I only mark the "Divx 5" under "supported codecs" to be installed and the documentation. I install and then go to view my videos. Now the smaller AVI that usually has the green tint problem once again has it, and the other video that usually has the oily problem no longer looks oily and is viewed clearly.

Now, on another message board, someone said to do the following to get rid of the "green tint" problem:

"i had the exact same problem, and if you havent fixed it yet here it is..make sure you have installed your fave codec pack (nimo for me) make sure it installs the xvid codec and then when its done..type this in a command prompt or in the start menu run box...
      regsvr32 /u ffdshow.ax

completly and instantaniously worked..good luck!"

So, I tried the command, but it didn't work. I found ffdshow.ax on my computer, put it in the c:\windows\system folder, and then tried the command again. The command was accepted. When I try to view the videos, I am back where I started (no green tint, but some videos look "oily".)

Installing "Divx 5" under "supported codecs" with ffdshow-20030103.exe then gets rid of the oily problem, but brings back the green tint problem. It's like I'm going in circles!

Now I have no clue what I am supposed to do. It seems that the "Divx 5 codec" that comes from ffdshow-20030103.exe fixes the "oily" problem, but causes the "green tint" problem. It seems that I cannot have all of my avi's working perfectly for some reason, although I know that it can be done because they were working fine until a few days ago. Also, on another computer at a public library, I have simply installed the divx5.05 bundle from divx.com and been able to view all videos perfectly without any other codecs, but this does not work on my computer, as I get the "oily" videos.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Below is the GSpot information on each of the videos. The first is for the video that ends up having the greenish tint, the second is for the oily-looking one. If the link doesn't work, copy and paste the url.

Comment

• crapforcrap
        • Jul 2003

i had a similar problem with oily, bad colour blending, off tint. here was my brute force solution.

- uninstalled a good whack of codecs (for good measure)
        - downloaded and installed divx 5.05 (http://www.divx.com/)
        - checked my hardware acceleration (control panel > display> settings > adv.)
        - set my colour depth to 32 bit (same place as above)
        - set quality level to max and film effect to med. (start > programs > divx > decoder config)

this yielded much better results but still had some still had some green tint. so i...

- downloaded and installed tsumani filter pack with typical settings (http://www.divx-digest.com/software/tsunami_pack.html)

and voila, divx's playing sweet. it good, cause this whole technology thing just confuses me.

crapforcrap

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

temppimp,

Have you tried a driver update for your graphic card? Often green tint problems are caused by obsolete drivers. In addition to that, green tint problems normally plague only XviD-compressed videos; hence I suggest you enable FFDShow to handle XviD contents as well and play your "smaller AVI" files (the ones with the said problems).

Report back on how everything goes. Good luck.

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

hence I suggest you enable FFDShow to handle XviD contents as well and play your "smaller AVI" files
            absolutely agreed

let ffdshow be the default playback filter for all possible codecs and try again.

Comment

Working...