Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • woodyalien
    • Sep 2003

divx3 vs divx5 - help a novice

I've downloaded my first Divx5 movie some days ago and so I'm fighting against my PC now...

I couldn't find a way to keep ALL videos working togheter since that...
    => the only way I found is to INSTALL Divx5 when I want to run a Divx5 encoded movie and UNINSTALL it again when I want to run a Divx3.

Are there wizards here with the right magic for me?
    tempus fugit
  • WildmanJoe
    • Jan 2003

Yay, I'm first to answer this... Try FFDShow

Comment

• woodyalien
      • Sep 2003

divx3 vs divx5

well... I've installed FFDSHOW but it didn't solved the problem at once...

On CODECS there are some "libavcodec" and "disable" on many options but seems it makes no difference.

I don't know how it works. What I have to do then? (sorry if I'm too novice)
      tempus fugit

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

"Enable" (libavcodec selected) the FourCC codes DivX3 & DivX5. FFDShow will then handle these types of AVI files the next time you play them.

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

and make sure to use the latest alpha version

Comment

• woodyalien
            • Sep 2003

Ive uninstalled all the codecs found... also deleted all the divx*.* files on system32 directory that were not listed on installed softwares... then installed ffdshow-20030523:

Ive tried many combinations of codecs: enabling all, disabling all, enabling only divx3 and divx5 and also enabling each of these 2, one at a time...

conclusion: it works like divx51bundle installed... it means, FFDSHOW installed makes divx5 run (and not divx3) if the codecs are enabled *AND* divx5 runs only sound or error (and nothing to divx3 as above) if codecs are disabled.
            Uninstalling FDD (or divx51) makes all divx3 run well while divx5 doesnt run image.

This is the WMP error I receive when playing divx3: Windows Media Player has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

WinXP, WMP 9
            (also microdvd, quicktime and viewpoint installed but i dont think they are involved - would be?)

Would I have any other *hidden* codec here? (once you all say FFDSHOW works fine... but not for me)

If you have no more hints, no problem... thank you all anyway!
            tempus fugit

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

Post the details of your DivX 5 movie here. GSpot or Virtualdub's File Information utility will be useful for this.

Comment

• woodyalien
                • Sep 2003

file name: Cirque.du.Soleil.Journey.of.Man.2000.DVDRip.DivX_. avi

AVIcoded:
                - File : 699 MB (699 MB), duration: 0:38:40, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 86 %
                - Video : 575 MB, 2081 Kbps, 23.976 fps, 640*480 (4:3), DX50 = DivXNetworks Divx v5, Supported
                - Audio : 123 MB, 448 Kbps, 48000 Hz, 5 channels, 0x2000 = AC3 DVM, Supported

VirtualDub:
                video stream:
                - frame size, fps (us per frame): 640x480, 23976fps (41708us)
                - # of frames (time): 55628 (38:40)
                - decompressor: DivX 5.1 codec
                - number of key frames: 342
                - min/avg/max/total key frame size: 3356/48704/128278 (16267k)
                - min/avg/max/total delta frame size: 8/10574/184527 (570915k)
                audio stream
                - sampling rate: 48000hz
                - channels: 5(stereo)
                - sample precision: 0bit
                - compression: unknown (tag 2000)
                - preload skew: 3584 samples (0.06s)
                - #of frames: 36253
                - min/avg/max/total frame size: 3584/3584/3584 (126886k)

*** to open it on VirtualDub I have to install Divx51bundle (FFD is not enough to make it open) ***

Let me clear that this divx5 video runs well if install FFD... the real problem is my PC run divx5 *OR* divx3, NOT BOTH OF THEM IN SAME CONDITION (I have to install divx5 to watch this one and uninstall it to watch the others)

thanks Enchanter!
                tempus fugit

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

The file looks alright to me. Sounds like the problem lies with the DivX 5 Decompressor (or your system's inability to properly register the codec). Try one or some of the following, and see if one of them can solve the problem:

1. Use a different, better player. WMP 6.4 (Run mplayer2.exe from the Run Command) and BSPlayer are highly recommended by me and many other members of the forum.

2. Reinstall the DivX codec (redownload it, if necessary, to ensure integral installer) and have FFDShow installed as well. Configure FFDShow so it handles DivX 3 contents, but NOT DivX 5 (we will let the DivX decoder handle it).

3. Uninstall all codecs and install the Tsunami filter pack (make sure that the DivX 5 AND Tsunami-patched DivX 3.11 codecs are selected).

Comment

• woodyalien
                    • Sep 2003

perfect!!! ))) it's finally working!!!

BSPlayer is the best player I've ever seen!
                    It's much much better than MicroDVD... lots of useful means/recourses and also SOLVED the problem reported on this thread! (WMP6 doesnt works on it either)
                    It ALSO SOLVED some little problems on running XVID and subtitles here!
                    EVERYTHING working now!!!

thank you very much Enchanter!
                    tempus fugit

Comment

Working...