Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OHmyGOD
    • Sep 2003

Windows XP can't play videos

Every time I want to play a movie (DivX, AVI, XVID or MPG), MediaPlayer (9) or BSPlayer gives me a warning message.

MediaPlayer: 'Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The file is either corrupt or the Player does not support the format you are trying to play.'

BSPlayer: 'Unknown file formate (...)'

I've tried uninstalling en re-installing Xvid, Divx 5 / 3.11 / 4 and FFDshow. Nothing seems to work. I even deleted all the codecs from the Video Codecs (Device Manager), and re-installed them.

I've used several movies (with different codecs) to test it on, but none seem to work. When I use GSpot, it tells me the codecs are not installed, even when they are

It's making me

It all worked before. I have since installed a new soundcard (Fortissimo III 7.1).

Please help.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by OHmyGOD; 18 Sep 2003, 12:39 AM.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

your screenshots shows obsolete codecs only
    no ffdshow, no divx5, no xvid

can you doublecheck and retry ffdshows latest alpha from may 2003 and make sure that all supported codecs will be played through the libavcodec

Comment

• OHmyGOD
      • Sep 2003

Thanks for your reply.

I've downloaded and installed FFDshow (alpha 2003), XVID and DivX 5 (standard link). After that I restarted the computer and tested a few movies (also the trailer of this week). MediaPlayer and BSPlayer still keep giving me these warning messages.

BSPlayer: Unknown file format (DIvX) and (XVID).

Can't find FFDSHOW in the Video Codec Properties, although i did install it. Can this be the problem?
      Attached Files

Comment

• OHmyGOD
        • Sep 2003

will be played through the libavcodec
        What is the libavcodec? How do i do this?

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

the libavcodec is the *internal* codec that ffdshow uses

when installing ffdshow you should be asked what formats ffdshow should play

you should find ffdshow in your start => programs menue in case you would like to access the configuration

when installed ffdshow should be the playback codec for your different formats

in bsplayer you should be able to verify which codec is being used for playback when rightclicking => properties

Comment

• OHmyGOD
            • Sep 2003

All formats are set to libavcodec.
            I can't access the properties menu of BSplayer, beacause it cannot open the movie.

This problem really stinks.

Maybe reparing the Windows XP installation will work.

Comment

• WildmanJoe
              • Jan 2003

Repair WinXP using the CD, press F8 then enter. There should be a Repair option available. DO NOT use the repair from command prompt.

Comment

• OHmyGOD
                • Sep 2003

ok, thanks!

Comment

• ghost5141
                  • Sep 2003

happened to me before as well..and i tried EVERYTHING. from reinstallin WMP to upgrade. to uninstall ALL codec to repair WINDOWS..in the end, only format help for me..i sure hope u had found the solution.

Comment

• OHmyGOD
                    • Sep 2003

Tried to repair windows by using the installdisc. It worked for awhile. Then Windows got messed up and I had to reinstall Windows XP all over. Anyway, everything works now

Comment

Working...