Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingchiba
    • Feb 2004

ac3 audio playback problem

I have several movies encoded in divx with ac3 audio. When I open any of them with nandub or virtualdub, the video and audio are fine.

However, when I try to play them in winamp or windows media player, the picture is fine but the audio makes a strange sputtering noise. I can faintly hear the real audio in the background, but it is covered up by the sputtering noise.

It seems like this only affects the speech channel, or maybe its the center channel, because, for instance, i have a movie that starts out in a diner. I can hear the background noises of the restaurant but I cant hear the characters that are talking in the scene.

I've got ac3filter and ac3acm (which, by the way, made it possible to get audio in nandub and virtualdub) so is there something else i need?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

try this filter - it is reliable

It is DirectShow AC3 Decoder filter used to palyback AVI files with AC3 sound tracks and DVDs. Multichannel and S/PDIF support. Focused at flexible…

if it still doesnt work clean up your system/installed filters

Comment

• kingchiba
      • Feb 2004

Thats the one I am using. As for cleaning up the system filters, I'll give it a shot, though i'm not quite sure where to look.

Comment

• UncasMS
        Super Moderator
        • Nov 2001

try testing your file on another pc

if it works flawlessly, take a look (using rightclick on decent plyers like zoomplayer/bsplayer/media player classic - NOT wmp!) at the filter properties and try to find out what other codecs are running

then compare your system to your findings

Comment

• stargate
          • Feb 2004

You can try a little utility I've put together for AIW Player. It is an installer of some directshow filters (vobsub, ac3filter, realmedia and matroska splitters). It has both install and uninstall. You can try uninstalling the ac3 filter and install it again.
          It is available here.

Comment

• kingchiba
            • Feb 2004

Well, I got AIW player and I downloaded the component installer, but it won't allow me to install/uninstall the ac3 codec. It says in the window "Note: Some components may not be available for the Win9x platform". I'm running win98se, so I guess that won't help. Thanks, though.

Comment

• kingchiba
              • Feb 2004

Success! If anyone else has this problem, here's what I did:
              I opened up the AC3 Filter configuration window and, under speakers, changed the output from 5.1 channels to dolby surround/pro logic.
              Thanks for the help, guys.

Comment

• stargate
                • Feb 2004

Yeah, I will add AC3 installation and uninstallation for Win9X platform in the near future.

Comment

Working...