Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • borat
    • Feb 2004

cant play file

i have a video file with an avi extension the says 'divx' in the filename, and although i know thats far from a guarantee, i still think i should be able to play this file. i had the newest Xvid, Divx and 3ivx codecs, the newest mpeg4 codec, newest WMP, and the file couldnt be opened with WMP 9/classic or with Real or Quicktime. even more weird, both Gspot and Divfix dont think its an AVI file at all. so installed teh NIMO codec pack, didnt open. the i installed the ACE Mega CoDecS Pack (over 100 mb of codecs and other movie crap). nothing.

do does anyone have any suggestions on what i might have missed? is there a program out there besides gspot and divfix that migh give me better insight into what this alien file is besides "Invalid file"????

thanks for reading
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

What does Gspot say?
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

post a screenshot of virtualdubMOD => file => file information

or try ffdshow as playbackfilter before

Comment

• borat
        • Feb 2004

heres GSpot's response after loading the vid and attempting to render it:

heres VirtualDub's (its "non-mod", is that bad?) response after trying to open the vid:

as for ffdshow, i downloaded the most recent non-alpha release and installed it, but now it seems i need to compile some crap to use it. if thats the case, i'd rather not bother if i have to download 4 compilers, as the help file suggested. is there an easier way, UncasMS? im definitely out of my element on that one...

thanks for the responses so far.

Comment

• sfheath
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Sep 2003

This is strange - you're the second person today with a file GSpot doesn't suss!
          VirtualDubMod does have some extra features - it might be worth downloading and trying. I use v1.5.4.1.

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

try this latest ffdshow build please:

FFDSHOW

when installing, ffdshow should ask you which format to play - select ALL

then try playing the file with your favourite player, though hopes are low, since vd didnt open the file at all

Comment

• borat
              • Feb 2004

no, neither worked. virtualdub mod gave the same error and ffdshow didnt make the vid openable. what could it possibly be? some hack of divx that hasnt made the rounds yet? i mean, not one of the many programs ive tried wants ANYTHING to do with this file. on the surface it seems fine. a 558 avi file. nothing weird there....

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

sounds pretty much like a fake file

i wouldnt know of any mpeg-4 format which ffdshow wouldnt display or which vdMOD would not at least open

Comment

• D. O.
                  • Mar 2004

Have the same problem:

Talk about all other file container formats and video codecs in this forum, including Ogg, RMVB, MOV, ASF, WMV ...

Comment

• borat
                    • Feb 2004

i actually found out it was a RAR archive for something totally different, awhile ago, but thanks for everyone's help

Comment

• dahammer
                      • Mar 2004

ACtually, it could not be a fake. I'm having the same problem with a file. The person I downloaded it from is a friend, and he says it works fine. I donwloaded it from him from his FTP server. The first half of the movie, I downloaded from him via Overnet, and it works fine, but the second half, from his server, and it does the same thing that yours does; isn't recognized by any programs.

Comment

• sfheath
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Sep 2003

I don't want to ring alarm bells but I just spotted this on the Computer Shopper's website regarding RARs

Monday 15th March 2004

New Bagle threats extend their reach via different file formats
                        [PC Pro] 12:37

A new round of Bagle viruses are using 'sneaky new tricks' to tiptoe past antivirus software.
                        Bagles N and O have been spotted over the weekend, both of which extend their capabilities by using the .RAR format - among others - to get its malicious attachment past antivirus software.

They also password protect the attachment and rather than include the password in the text, Bagle-O reveals the password by embedding an image of it, again in the hope that antivirus software won't be able to read it.

'These new worms are using some sneaky new tricks,' said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos. 'However, certainly with our software we can still stop these at the email gateway.'

He also suspected that the worms were released over the weekend in the hope that they would get a head start before the antivirus analysts returned to work on Monday. But most antivirus companies have labs around the world operating 24/7.

Unlike previous versions, the new Bagles don't contain derogatory texts maligning and threatening the author of the NetSky worms, although there is the following enigmatic referral to NetSky in Bagle-O:

'The White Rabbit Presents
                        The first and the single
                        Anti-NetSky AntiVirus'

The NetSky author recently claimed that there would be no more NetSkys - at least not by him (or her), and the lack of vitriol from the new Bagles adds to indications that 'post-K' NetSky variants are indeed by a different hand. Bagle-O also attempts to disinfect any evidence of NetSky-K it finds, but not later versions.

NetSky-K contained the text: 'We want to destroy malware writers business, including MyDoom and Bagle... This is the last version of our antivirus. The source code is available soon.'

Cluley however is cautious about such speculation. 'To be honest I think it's hard to say. I doubt the Bagle author has any better evidence than we do that the latest Netskys weren't written by the original author... But maybe they are beginning to realise that they've run out of rude things to say to each other via their viruses.'

Bagle-N and -O arrive as emails with a range of short message texts, many purporting to be administrative mails from technical support.

They copy themselves locally as winupd.exe and infect any .exe files found on the hard drive. They also search out folders used by peer-to-peer file-sharing services and copy themselves into those folders with a selection of filenames that will appeal to other users of the service.

They also try and turn off antivirus software found running, open a backdoor on the infected system and connect to a remote Web address to report its location and identify the open backdoor port.

Using their own SMTP engine they send themselves on to others by harvesting email addresses from the hard drive.

For more information visit the Sophos website.

Comment

Working...