DivX files that don't work and have no audio ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • semmelbroesel
    • Feb 2004

DivX files that don't work and have no audio ?

Hi,

I have encountered a number of movie files that claim to be DivX 5, but show only black video and have no audio.

When I found out about gspot, I got it right away - guess what: It says I should be able to play the file, but there is no audio channel in it.

And I have the same problem for multiple files - I highly doubt they were all encoded without audio...

Any ideas what I can do ?

Yes, I did read the sticky, I did download the ffdshow pack (or whatever it's name). Do I need to restart after installing ffdshow ? It didn't say anything...

I will try VirtualDubMod (which I haven't heard of before) now - I just read about it in another thread, maybe it'll tell me more.

No, it told me the same thing.

BTW: All the movies that have this problem are DivX 5 - all XVids seem to work.

BTW: Does anyone have the new gspot 2.5 beta yet ? I am dying to get it

OK, I read a few more posts in different forums - could these files all be fakes ?

... erm... yes, they seem to be... I took two different files (different file length), all showed exactly same video and no audio information...

Sorry I started this thread after only reading through the first page of threads in this forum... Anyway, here is the information that VirtualDubMod show - may it be helpful to others

Thanks!

Last edited by semmelbroesel; 27 Feb 2004, 03:59 PM.
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

- the resolution in your screenshot does not look like a usual mpeg-4 file (352x288 is mpeg-1/vcd)

- the size of key- and delta-frames does not look like a mpeg-4 either (c.f. my post on fake files)

it rather looks like you're dealing with vcd/mpeg-1
    there's no indication of audio btw

which player did you use?
    can you rename the extension to mpg and try again?

a reboot after installing ffdshow (use the LATEST version [released this month] btw not any build that is more than a year old)

a newer gespot version wont solve your problems

Comment

• semmelbroesel
      • Feb 2004

Hi,

it is most likely fake files - the file header looks very much like a real AVI file, with the correct code for DivX5 etc., but no code for audio.

Programs (I tried WMP, DivX Player, VirtualDub) simply play black video and no audio.

Since I get SO many files like this one, I really think they are spoofs - they all share EXACTLY the same gspot information, even if they have +/- 100MB difference in size.

I simply delete these files and look for others now - but now I can check the files earlier, knowing about gspot

Comment

Working...