Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akasha0106
    • Feb 2004

help!! sound of .avi out of synch

Please help!!! My computer has problems playing .avi, the sound goes out of synch. It's fine when I play other types of files, it just happens when I play .avi.
    I'm I missing a codec or something?
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

how fast is your pc?

in case it is a little older it might not powerful enough for high bitrate mpeg-4 decoding

could you provide us with your system specs + used player?

Comment

• akasha0106
      • Feb 2004

my PC is a bit old, but not that much (i think) AMd Athlon 766, 128 Mb RAM. I don't remember if the file worked on all of them, but I've tried divx player, bsplayer, windows media player, winamp... i think i've got the latest codecs, unless i'm missing any...
      Thx

Comment

• akasha0106
        • Feb 2004

Maybe it is my PC... i tried a file again with Divx Player and lowered the quality on the preferences and it seems to be better but it is still out of sync.
        When I play mpg files it ok though, without having to change the playback quality.
        Is there anything I can do to be able to see them properly? without having to buy a new pc?

Comment

• UncasMS
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2001

one of my machines is an old athlon classic as well (700mhz) but it has more ram

i use ffdshow and zoomplayer and all files work fine - unless you have other task running in the background

try ffdshow and bsplayer (bsplayer needs less resources than most other players) AND make sure no backgroundtasks are active

e.g. antivirus etc...

use NO postprocessing in the ffdshow options, reduce your colour settings to 16 bit (in case they're 24/32)

in case you're using xp, 128mb ram is a bit underpowered since the operating itself needs almost most of the memory

what about your systemcache? is it controlled by windows or did you set it to any value yourself ( i prefer 1024 min AND max => fixed)

Comment

• akasha0106
            • Feb 2004

I don't know what i did exactly, i reinstalled some codecs and i seems to be ok...
            i'll try watching the entire file later on and see what happens but it seems to be fine now.
            I did find bsplay to do a better job with the file before anyway. When you said about the No processing do you mean it has to be unchecked? Cause that is how it is right now anyway. I'm using Win 98...
            I hope it works ok from now on
            Thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it

Comment

Working...