X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MerlinHH
    • Mar 2004

Xvid help page

Hello,

here you find comprehensive information on all kinds of playback issues with Xvid:

regards,
    Merlin
  • zx50
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Aug 2003

This page is stating that it's okay to install codec packs, which as everyone knows it's not.
    Computer Fanatic

Comment

• MerlinHH
      • Mar 2004

As I am not everybody, you missed the point in explaining why it is not such a good idea.
      In fact it took me a great deal of my time to write down my wisdom. People like you just carp at things, without giving constructive help on how to make things better.

If you read my page, you will find some words to the drawbacks of codec packs.

The page is intended for people coming in touch first time with XviD or having specific problems.

Merlin

Comment

• zx50
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Aug 2003

All i saw was this

A Codec Pack.
        For a variety of sound and other video codecs I strongly recommend to download and install the Nimo Codec Pack, which is a bit outdated by now, but works fine.
        Codec packs are buggy and trash your system.

if anyone is being insuting here it's you. Instead of asking me why i said that all you could say was "People like you just carp at things". What you really maybe should have said was "why do you say that?". I'm not saying the guide is'nt very good. I actually found myself reading through the whole lot, looking at the screenshots and everything. Please, in future when anyone makes a comment, it might be better just to ask why they are saying it instead of just well.....insulting them.

P.S in your guide do you not think that maybe you should have said "if you are going to install a codec pack, only install the codecs that you need and not the whole lot".
        Last edited by zx50; 6 Mar 2004, 10:32 PM.
        Computer Fanatic

Comment

• zx50
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Aug 2003

And also old codecs cause problems, like green squares on screen, crashing the player, and also if you don't have a recent version of ffdshow that can cause the green squares to appear as well. The latest one is <a href="http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/ffdshow.cfm"target="_"blank">4/3/2004</a>
          Computer Fanatic

Comment

• UncasMS
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2001

i'm a strong supporter of one particular filterpack btw :-=)

tsunami's filterpack 3.9.9 may be a bit out of date nad thus xvid, divx and ffdshow will always be updated when i use this pack, but the rest of the content is unbeatable

following that ffdshwo link, i did NOT find any version on those sourceforge pages dated 2004

the latest version i know of is dated 2004-02-27
            Last edited by UncasMS; 7 Mar 2004, 04:05 AM.

Comment

• zx50
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Aug 2003

????????? so are you saying this is'nt a genuine ffdshow decoder.
              Computer Fanatic

Comment

• UncasMS
                Super Moderator
                • Nov 2001

sorry, dont get me wrong

i simply was NOT able to download/see any file (following your link to the known sourceforge url) that dates 2004

did you actually download an ffdshow version, that was released this month?

Comment

• zx50
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  • Aug 2003

Last month (in the last week).
                  Computer Fanatic

Comment

• zx50
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    • Aug 2003

Hmmn, this one comes from nic's site? And nic is'nt well known for havng thing's up to date. Well his codec is'nt anyway.
                    Computer Fanatic

Comment

• UncasMS
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2001

ok, i followed the link to source forge, where (as always) no new version was to be found

the athos version afterdawn provides is dated 2004/3/4

i used to check the ligh mirrors as athos is painfully slow

Comment

Working...